OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do I need binoculars?  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Life of Riley

Do I need binoculars?
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:27:34 PM »
I hunt in the upper Midwest (MN WI ia) do you think I should get a pair of binoculars? I do a few setups on the edge of corn fields as well as hunt in the woods. Any advice on what strength or range to get and also wondering about those harnesses that hold them to your chest.

Offline Redfish

Re: Do I need binoculars?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 02:58:39 PM »
After two or three times spending a couple of hours working a tom that turns out to be a jake, you'll wish you had them. I use full size 10x42 Vortex vipers but you might be able to get away with smaller ones depending on your eyes/age. I don't wear them all the time but they are in my pack for those times when I see a bird way down a road or clearcut.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:09:27 PM by Redfish »
John 3:16

Offline Frylock

Do I need binoculars?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:46:50 PM »
I sometimes carry a pair of 10x42 Nikons on a chest harness, barely notice they are there and at times invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Frylock

Do I need binoculars?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
I use the simple and inexpensive Nikon harness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 05:26:48 PM »
As necessary as a weapon, more valuable then calls. Yes, find the best pair of water resistant binos as you can afford  and then go into debt for a better pair. Spend the time to find a harness which works for your setup which will keep them handy but not in the way. Take as much care of them as your gun/calls. Good binos saved more then a few hunts each season and are invaluable.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 04:23:29 AM »
Agree with all above sentiments. I actually get pissed if I don't have my noccers while I'm chasing game. You'll be amazed how much area awareness you have compared to what you have with just the naked eye. Getting quality glass super important as well.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 09:02:20 PM »
I carry a set of 10X42 Bushnell Legends strapped to my chest at all times.  They are invaluable when you are running and gunning to pick up things your naked eyes can't see and even more invaluable when you are trying to tell a gobbler from a hen across a field at 1/4 of a mile or more.  I've been hunting in Wisconsin with a buddy the last two springs.  I carry and he doesn't.  He told me this spring, I'm getting a pair of binos before next spring because you have shown me how much my old, tired eyes need them.

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
I have never carried them for turkey hunting.  You don't need them.

Offline Gobspur

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »
Since you said you hunt some fields they could come in handy.  I hunt entirely deep woods, run and gun, and have no need for them.  Another thing to carry and cause added movement.  I am calling the birds in close so I'll be able to assess them without binoculars.  If I hunted fields I might carry my binoculars I use for deer hunting.  10X42 are good all around binocular.  Quality is you get what you pay for.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 05:59:06 AM »
I have never carried them for turkey hunting.  You don't need them.

Strange, I never hunt anywhere without my bino's. East or West they say with me and ride on my truck dash if I am not wearing them. If you don't have superman's eyes how can you tell if the critter you see at two or three hundred yards is worth chasing. Every once in awhile I see a super buck or really nice Turkey and want to see all the detail I can. I carry Swarovski 10 by 42 in an enclosed Badlands case with an attached micro fiber cloth. Unbeatable combination if your serious about your hunting!               
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
I have a good pair of binoculars in every vehicle which I own, and always carry a pair which is dependent on what I'm hunting.  For turkey hunting I carry a pair of lightweight 10x25 Leupold's in my vest and for deer hunting 10x42 Carson's or 10x50's.  Over the years, binoculars have been instrumental in killing several good deer and gobblers.  Until you become proficient in hunting with binoculars you won't know what your missing.  A good pair of binoculars will really help you pick up movement and detail in dark woods by amplifying the available light and allowing you to see into the shadows.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 08:43:47 PM »
I have a good pair of binoculars in every vehicle which I own, and always carry a pair which is dependent on what I'm hunting.  For turkey hunting I carry a pair of lightweight 10x25 Leupold's in my vest and for deer hunting 10x42 Carson's or 10x50's.  Over the years, binoculars have been instrumental in killing several good deer and gobblers.  Until you become proficient in hunting with binoculars you won't know what your missing.  A good pair of binoculars will really help you pick up movement and detail in dark woods by amplifying the available light and allowing you to see into the shadows.

Good answer
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 03:13:48 AM »
Although I use them when deer hunting...i never carry them to the turkey woods!

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »
I always use them.

I have used them to look into a field I was sneaking up on and have found silent gobblers in there eating wheat or just hanging around.

I also like to watch deer and other critters in the woods while hunting!

Offline lohaus

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
 My previous pair broke about 2 seasons ago.   I used an old pair until this past week.   I recently went with the Vortex 10x42 for around $215 @ Cabelas.  I had the harness but couldn't find it.   Just getting back from a South Dakota deer hunt.  It really reinforced how important a good pair of binos are for identifying game.  I love the chest harness.   Vortex had a lifetime warranty.

I'm also a 'Sconsin guy.