venison shepards pie

Started by flhuntress, April 05, 2011, 02:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhuntress

-ground venison (1-2lbs)
-mashed tators, i use the instant ones, it's easier
-frozen corn, NOT CANNED...1 bag works good
-1 large can of mushrooms
- a cup or so of shredded carrots....frozen works too.
- a cup or so of green beans, NOT CANNED...if you're feeling crazy
- some onion, diced, sauteed.
- brown gravy

-cook your venison burger....then add onions, mushrooms, and carrots
- pour into baking pan and start layering toppings
(meat with onions, carrots, and mushrooms on bottom, then a layer of corn,...pour gravy and mix (add at least 2 cups of brown gravy), and then spread mashed tators on top....bake until brown.

serve with salad and bread and you'll have a bunch of happy hunters at camp!! trust me :)

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TURKEYWHACKER

Carrots in shepards pie?? Just messin' with ya girl, sounds good. :icon_thumright:

flhuntress

don't knock it until you've tried it....the guys at the firehouse used to make their recipe but now they use mine...because it's that good!!  :you_rock:
next time you come over our way i'll make it for ya.

penna shooter

Bold statement..Firehall guys no there shizaa.
Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.

FullChoke

This inspired me to try venison in Gordon Ramsey's recipe for Shepherd's Pie. It was absolutely out of this world good. I learned a quick trick while making it. Thaw a good cut of venison, cut it into 1" cubes and pop it back in the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm it back up. Drop a handful of the chilled cubes in a food processor and pulse it about 4 times. Clear that out of the processor and repeat until you use all of the meat. The food processor does a great job of coarse-grinding the meat. Cook it according to the recipe and go to town on it. 

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.