News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

weird turkey hunting tips

Started by hotspur, July 12, 2016, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: Uncle Tom on August 14, 2016, 03:28:12 PM
Few years back, was calling a bird in about 9:00 one morning and had laid my gun down in my lap trying to get a Mad hatchet call to make a purr..completely forgot about the gobbler that was closing distance fast...heard something running and looked up and two big gobblers were making a bee line straight toward me...one trying to out run the other...first one jumped over a log right into my chest...wings flapping...all over me. Took flight straight up...swung and got off a round...missed and swung to other one out front of me about 20 yds...fired and missed...he flies off directly in front of me...fired again...nothing. All this happened in 10-15 seconds...well, I sat there thinking what an  of a mess I just made. Told this story many times...many say did not happen..no way. Some times you get the turkey, sometimes turkey gets you.
That's good stuff...and yes somehow I believe you.
Anybody seen America lately?

Ozarks Hillbilly

NEVER pick up a jersey glove you find in the wood's!

The folks that forgot their paper will understand.

thunderbirder

Get a watch cover. Those things are like reflective mirrors and will easily catch a gobbler's eye!

ilbucksndux

When on public land dont make him gobble if at all possible. We all want to hear him gobble coming in,but anyone around you can hear him too. Wen run and gun hunting dont call unless you are standing by a tree or other cover so you can get sat down fast if yo need to. When sitting on the side of a steep hill kick the leaves away from the base of a tree before you sit,it will help you from sliding down. 
Gary Bartlow

saverx

Always load you gun before beginning the hunt. Click!

Yoder409

Get the Zedge app for your cell phone and download a couple ringtones that are songbirds common to your area.

At home, here, I use a cardinal.  In Texas on a Rio hunt I'll use a bobwhite.  You never have to put your phone on silent or vibrate again.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WV TURKEY THUG

Quote from: saverx on April 09, 2017, 05:30:27 PM
Always load you gun before beginning the hunt. Click!
I Hate when that happens.

Chris O

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on February 26, 2017, 01:08:27 PM
Quote from: Uncle Tom on August 14, 2016, 03:28:12 PM
Few years back, was calling a bird in about 9:00 one morning and had laid my gun down in my lap trying to get a Mad hatchet call to make a purr..completely forgot about the gobbler that was closing distance fast...heard something running and looked up and two big gobblers were making a bee line straight toward me...one trying to out run the other...first one jumped over a log right into my chest...wings flapping...all over me. Took flight straight up...swung and got off a round...missed and swung to other one out front of me about 20 yds...fired and missed...he flies off directly in front of me...fired again...nothing. All this happened in 10-15 seconds...well, I sat there thinking what an  of a mess I just made. Told this story many times...many say did not happen..no way. Some times you get the turkey, sometimes turkey gets you.
That's good stuff...and yes somehow I believe you.
I was walking in on some public ground when I was 14 or so and I heard someone on a box call. I yelped real loud to kind of mess with them and to maybe let them know someone else was in there.They answered immediately so I started my big circle to get around them. I would yelp every once in a while as I was going around them and they would always answer me. I finally got to a nice tree and settled in by a fence. I started hearing that box call coming towards me again and getting close. I started looking for someone so I could say something to them so I wouldn't get shot.It was really thick to the side of me so I couldn't see much but I knew they were close. Then a gobbler jumped the fence and landed at my feet and scared the crap out of me and him.He went airborne and got out of there in a hurry. I didn't have time to think about anything .I was expecting someone sneaking in on me and it turned out to one of my most memorable turkey hunts.For tips I always carry a couple gatorades with me their plastic is thicker and quieter than water bottles.just cut the labels off them that's what is noisy on them. I also have something to eat as well it keeps me in the woods longer.

TRG3

During the mid-morning when things slow down and the gobblers are not responding, take a short nap which will surely bring one in. You'll be half-awake when you realize that there's a tom only 20 yards in front of you beating up on your decoys and you fire one off at the intruder, but that's the fun of turkey hunting! This technique has worked for me several times!

daddyduke

After you shoot a bird, make sure both legs are awake before jumping up to go get it or the turkey won't be the only thing flopping in the woods.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

g8rvet

Quote from: daddyduke on June 12, 2017, 03:38:51 PM
After you shoot a bird, make sure both legs are awake before jumping up to go get it or the turkey won't be the only thing flopping in the woods.

LOL  I have done the herky jerky to get my turkey more than a few times! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

falltoms

Quote from: Cove on July 14, 2016, 06:48:00 PM
For the mountain hunters, we all like to set up above the bird when possible. Grab a wrist sized stick just before you sit down against your tree and use it to stop the always annoying slide down the tree. If you place the stick just out in front of your rear end it acts as a stopper and you won't have to constantly be pushing yourself back up against the tree.

That's the first thing I do when setting up

ilbucksndux

Quote from: tomstopper on November 08, 2016, 01:52:30 AM
Not really weird advice but something that you may find helpful:
When running and gunning, always look to see if there is any cover that you could get in before you let out any calls. After numerous times of just running and gunning across ridges and having birds answer my calls just yards away and me scrambling to find cover, I learned to just slow down a little and survey my surroundings first and it improved my odds. Good luck

I learned this one to late a few times
Gary Bartlow

Yoder409

Quote from: TRG3 on June 05, 2017, 07:51:18 PM
During the mid-morning when things slow down and the gobblers are not responding, take a short nap which will surely bring one in. You'll be half-awake when you realize that there's a tom only 20 yards in front of you beating up on your decoys and you fire one off at the intruder, but that's the fun of turkey hunting! This technique has worked for me several times!

There is an uprooted maple tree (laying down but still very alive) on our property that is known as the "Turkey sleepin' log"...............      Butt on the ground, legs straight out front, left elbow on the log, back against the roots.............  Few yelps on the box and............... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................   Wake.................repeat.................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

RiverRoost

I thought this topic had some good and some funny advice! Let's start it back going for 2018!