OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: weird turkey hunting tips  (Read 24738 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Re: weird turkey hunting tips
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
Wear tin foil inside your hat so the bird does not pick up on your "brain waves".   :drool:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »
For the mountain hunters, we all like to set up above the bird when possible. Grab a wrist sized stick just before you sit down against your tree and use it to stop the always annoying slide down the tree. If you place the stick just out in front of your rear end it acts as a stopper and you won't have to constantly be pushing yourself back up against the tree.

Never hunted steep mountain terrain before, but will file this one away for the day I do!

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
when you're walking and calling trying to strike a bird and one hammers back right there but out of sight below a ridgeline or thick cover, don't sit down  Sitting will only cut down on how far you can see.  Step to the nearest tree, get you're gun up, and kill him when he appears. 

Online TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
While owls can be your friends in getting turkeys to gobble, they can become the enemy if they think that you are something to eat. Several times while hunting, especially in a tree stand while deer hunting, I've had an owl silently swoop within a very short distance of my face, much to my surprise and concern. Those talons could do real damage!

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 04:40:18 PM »
Sit on a stump and face East.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 06:36:55 PM »
Wear tin foil inside your hat so the bird does not pick up on your "brain waves".   :drool:

This.  Plus, never fart or they'll smell it and head for the next county.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
when you're walking and calling trying to strike a bird and one hammers back right there but out of sight below a ridgeline or thick cover, don't sit down  Sitting will only cut down on how far you can see.  Step to the nearest tree, get you're gun up, and kill him when he appears.

Great advice!  Took me quite a few years to figure this one out.  We are all so engrained with the "sit down" mentality with turkey hunting that I think lots of us don't even think about the fact that there are instances where standing up is a much better strategy.  There have been more than a few instances in my turkey hunting career where I have ended up saying to myself,..."You dummy, if you had just been standing up, you would have killed that bird!"  Always consider the situation before concluding that sitting down is the best strategy. 

Offline hotspur

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:09 PM »
For the mountain hunters, we all like to set up above the bird when possible. Grab a wrist sized stick just before you sit down against your tree and use it to stop the always annoying slide down the tree. If you place the stick just out in front of your rear end it acts as a stopper and you won't have to constantly be pushing yourself back up against the tree.

Never hunted steep mountain terrain before, but will file this one away for the day I do!
  I could use this advice when setting up on some of these large base swamp trees

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 11:49:16 PM »
I agree with GobbleNut on this one...  That is some really good advice, all too often over-looked.

I certainly would have killed a bird this season, and the previous season, had I been standing (both very close birds just the other side of a small depression). 

Next season, it will be a tactic that is on the tip of my brain.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Brian Fahs

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Go early

Stay late

Dont quit

There is no substitute for time in the woods when defining successful turkey hunting.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »
When you take a bathroom break in the dark, squatting n are wearing suspenders, hold em so you don't drag em through anything. Ugh

Offline supremepredator

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »
  :icon_thumright:
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Offline jwright8

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »
Will definitely be using this one next spring.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:22 PM »
to save a lot of typing I bumped up an old thread in the General forum with my favorite weird tip and tactic,

it is post #1 on the first page of "Northwoods Law VS OLd Pro Turkey Hunter.
I hope this helps someone get that special Gobbler

as a bonus, it's good for both spring or fall turkey hunting

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 08:00:19 AM »
Go early

Stay late

Dont quit

There is no substitute for time in the woods when defining successful turkey hunting.

Very good advice from a guy with only one nut.