turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

weird turkey hunting tips

Started by hotspur, July 12, 2016, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

Thinking of funny circumstances , I'm wondering if anyone has unusual turkey hunting tips or " don't do this " advise. I've got a simple one . When hunting in areas where livestock may be present don't put out a decoy :boon: And what ever you do don't try to run them off, its much better to let them lose interest and leave on there own :)

SteelerFan

DON'T: Consume a 24 oz coffee from your local gas & go and enter the woods at 0-dark:thirty without adequate paper supplies immediately available. Just sayin'....

Happy

Don't pee on an electric fence. Have my cousin to thank for that piece of advise.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Swampchickin234

Don't leave home without paper lol.   Never ever leave home without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

When you think it is time to move, sit at least 30 more minutes.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

guesswho

Consider the source when receiving free turkey hunting advice.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cove

Quote from: guesswho on July 13, 2016, 02:51:13 PM
Consider the source when receiving free turkey hunting advice.

And what they're selling.  :toothy12:

Marc

When looking for a tree to sit against for a long period of time, I look for a fallen log or small rock formation in front of the tree.  This can be used as a gun rest and to hide my movement from using friction calls.

For hunters in the west, I would recommend NOT sitting against a fallen log, where a critter can approach unseen from behind...  While hunting in mountain lion country, I once had a bobcat jump on the log I was sitting against (coming face to face with the kitty).  I immediately realized this could have been a bad deal if it were a mountain lion or bear trying to get a turkey meal.

If you know there is an active bird in the area, but cannot get a response with your favorite call, try some different calls with different sounds and pitches.  I have often been surprised at how quiet woods can come alive with a call that is not normally one of my favorites (my theory is that sometimes you find a call that sounds like a local breeding hen that the toms are used to hearing).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on July 13, 2016, 01:37:31 PM
When you think it is time to move, sit at least 30 more minutes.

Good advice, 
but when you finally move have your paper ready  ::)

EZ

Hunt the last hour with the same enthusiasm as the first hour.

Dr Juice

Quote from: SteelerFan on July 12, 2016, 06:03:09 PM
DON'T: Consume a 24 oz coffee from your local gas & go and enter the woods at 0-dark:thirty without adequate paper supplies immediately available. Just sayin'....
Well said. X2.

All The Way!

jed clampett

Quote from: Dr Juice on July 14, 2016, 04:57:22 AM
Quote from: SteelerFan on July 12, 2016, 06:03:09 PM
Well said. X2.

All The Way!
.           X3!!!!!!!!!

wvmntnhick

Take 2x the amount of water you think you're really going to need. Never know when you're going to break off long for a bird or start covering ground trying to strike one up. When you're miles from the truck with no water left, you'll thank me.

Cove

For the mountain hunters, we all like to set up above the bird when possible. Grab a wrist sized stick just before you sit down against your tree and use it to stop the always annoying slide down the tree. If you place the stick just out in front of your rear end it acts as a stopper and you won't have to constantly be pushing yourself back up against the tree.

hotspur

You guys are way better at this turkey hunting than I am , awsome.