OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: long paddle verses a standard box...  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
long paddle verses a standard box...
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »
Comparing a long box or paddle call as compared to a standard what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
Re: long paddle verses a standard box...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:55 AM »
I like the sound and the number of turkeys you can get in a long box.  It's also easier for me to cut on a long box.

Disadvantage? They are long and can get in the way.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
Long is a better locator and probably kee kee-er. Advantage to both is if you can consistently take mature birds on public ground with them you will know you're pretty good!

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
Once you go long you'll never go wrong.  I agree with everything in the previous posts.  I will also add they are usually higher pitched than a short box. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
long paddle verses a standard box...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
Both have their place, long box can be a little more versatile but a short box can be easier to run and carry.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »
I have found my long box to be more of a "locator".
Short box to "reel them in".
I usually carry 1 long box and several short boxes.
Maybe it's just because I'm more comfortable with short boxes, as I've just purchased my 1st long box last year.

Offline slwayne

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
Maybe it's just because I'm more comfortable with short boxes, as I've just purchased my 1st long box last year.
HFultzjr, just wondering how you carry one long box and several short boxes.  I will probably purchase my first long box before next season but one thing I have been wondering about is how best to carry it.  My Cabelas vest has one box call pouch and even my short boxes protrude from it a bit.  I can't imagine putting a long box in it.  Would probably stick out a good six inches.  Just curious.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »
HFultzjr, just wondering how you carry one long box and several short boxes.  I will probably purchase my first long box before next season but one thing I have been wondering about is how best to carry it.  My Cabelas vest has one box call pouch and even my short boxes protrude from it a bit.  I can't imagine putting a long box in it.  Would probably stick out a good six inches.  Just curious.

Extra pockets sewn in vest. Can carry 1 long box and 3 short boxes.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 08:36:35 PM »

There are a few folks out there that make leather holsters for long boxes.  Well worth what they cost.  The protect your investment well.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline packmule

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »
https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/long-boxes/2097-eight-hooter-long-box-holster.html

This is a reasonably priced holster that is very well made and does a great job protecting your long box.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »
Thank you for the replies...  Still not sure if I understand the advantages of the long verses the short box though...

Comparing yelps, clucks, cutts, purrs, etc., of a long and a short box made by the same call maker are there advantages of one over the other for making any of the above sounds?

I would assume from the replies that the long box has a bit more volume...  But on a short box, you can crank on that volume a bit, while still maintaining good quality on the quiet side with pressure control...  I would assume the same is true with a long box????
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline callmakerman

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:21:53 PM »
Both calls work well and will call turkey's we all know that and I assume we are talking Cost style boxes. I use and carry either one though seldom both on the same hunt. It usually comes down to a morning decision when I'm in the basement grabbing my vest as to which box I want to hunt on a given day. For me if I had only one box to carry it would be a long box over the short as I just like them more. Now if you really want to toss a monkey wrench into this then I would hunt a Turpin style short box over both the long or cost style short. Why? Because I like the clucks, cuts, cackles and yawky yelps more and they gobble like crazy. Hunt what works for you and don't read to much into it all.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »
Both calls work well and will call turkey's we all know that and I assume we are talking Cost style boxes. I use and carry either one though seldom both on the same hunt. It usually comes down to a morning decision when I'm in the basement grabbing my vest as to which box I want to hunt on a given day. For me if I had only one box to carry it would be a long box over the short as I just like them more. Now if you really want to toss a monkey wrench into this then I would hunt a Turpin style short box over both the long or cost style short. Why? Because I like the clucks, cuts, cackles and yawky yelps more and they gobble like crazy. Hunt what works for you and don't read to much into it all.
I'd like to try my hand at a Turpin style box sometime. Would love to practice on one before buying though. Seems some guys have lots of trouble mastering the Turpin style box and I've got no desire to be one of those guys. Hate to blow the money into one that I can't get the hang of. Does anyone make a reasonably priced Turpin box that a guy could get and play with all the while not feeling like a fool for not being able to figure it out?

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
Both Turpin and Gibsons are much harder than either a long or short box to run but in the hands of someone that knows how to run one sound great.  Like a trumpet,  they need a lot of practise.

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »

:camohat:   A long box is harder to master but when you do, she rewards you. Anything you do with a box. a long box will do better and with more sex. I'm just saying she is better when you learn her and coax her. The long box is more versatile and has more turkeys in her, you just got to caress her and coax her. Sorry for getting carried away but a long box is worth the extra length (how long she is) and time needed to master her. She shines on public lands and hard hunted birds, they can't resist her when played by one who takes the time to master her. With that said you got to get one by a proven craftsman like Marlin Watkins, Jeff Mckamey, S&S to name just just a few. I'll get off my soapbox, best of luck to you finding the siren song of tom turkeys.....

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!