OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Chuck question???

Started by jbennett, June 12, 2016, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbennett

I'm new to call making. I have purchased a lathe, band saw, drill press, and lathe hand tools. I plan to turn some pot calls as a hobby. I need some help with purchasing the right chuck for the lathe. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to actually be able to talk to someone (6623157122) if at all possible to try and make since of all of this.  Thanks in advance!

lightsoutcalls

I seldom use a chuck, and never use them to turn calls.  While many people use a chuck to turn their pots, I prefer to use the faceplate that came with my lathe.  I am on my 3rd Jet mini in the past 12 years and am still using the faceplate that came with the first one I bought.  I use a 1/4" acrylic waste block between my faceplate and my pot call blank.  I use 4 screws that extend about 1/8" into my call blank to hold it to the faceplate.  MANY times in the earlier years I would turn down to the screws.  That tell-tale sound and feel of the end of the screws against my gouge let me know when I had gone too deep.  Rough on the cutting edge of a tool...  :-\  I learned to stop and check the depth of my cut in the pot turning process with more frequency.  I can see the depth of the screw through the 1/8" pilot holes drilled for my sound holes to gauge the correct depth of cut/thickness of the pot bottom.

I share all of this to let you know, you don't HAVE to have a chuck to turn pot calls.  Different folks use different methods with good results for their pot designs.  I have a Nova 4 jaw chuck that serves as a weight to apply pressure while gluing call surfaces in.  While it has turned a lot of other items from tube calls to coffee scoops to ferro rod handles, I really couldn't recommend the model I have, as it never really had good "centricity".  From the first use it seemed to be a hair off center, which caused turned items to have some variance in wall thickness when turning tubes or drilling stock.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

mspaci

I use a cheap screw chuck,  also did a bunch the same way lights out described. Mike

mmclain

misfire

I only use chucks to turn my pots. I lucked up and was in Woodcraft one day when they had their Pinnacle chucks on sale, so I got two of those. One will have the big jaws on it to turn the inside of the pot, then I just put the other chuck on to turn the outside.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net