OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cheap calls vs expensive calls

Started by supremepredator, June 05, 2016, 10:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 09, 2018, 08:04:34 AM
If you find one that goobles good, does that qualify as a "KEEPER" ???

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  That can be a positive, but I think it depends on how much gobbling she did before I came along.  If she gobbles at everybody, then I would probably look at her from the "catch and release" standpoint.   ;D :toothy9:

silvestris

"Good callers ain't Cheap; cheap callers ain't good."

Quote from a deceased alcoholic turkey hunter.

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bowguy

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 09, 2018, 08:04:34 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 09, 2018, 07:53:12 AM
Quote from: boatpaddle on February 23, 2018, 07:54:56 PM
Buying turkey calls is comparable to finding a good woman......

Some are much more cost effective then others..

Some are very expensive to get to know and then carry a very high cost factor to keep in your life....

Some are beautiful & some aren't......

Some are easy to get to know & others are quite tough to learn about...

Both pretty much make the same sounds, depending how they are played....

Both types can do what they were made for, but you need to spend time & effort to learn their sweet spot(s)

It's all about the choice of what makes you happy...

Difference is the beautiful turkey calls aren't crazy!!!!!!
Lol....

If you find one that goobles good, does that qualify as a "KEEPER" ???

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Not to hihack but you tube hot crazy matrix. Tells you all you need to know

Double B

Hang out in the classifieds and you can pick up some good deals.  But, yes some cheap calls work just as well.  Believe it or not some guys don't fret near as much about calls as we do.  I got a buddy that runs the same old primos power crystal every year and he does fine. He has one other call, a flipsider Blodgett and sometimes it comes out too but the primos just gets it done for him. 
Followed by buzzards

tha bugman

too many calls, too little time!  I want to play them all! :turkey2:

jims

It's sometimes pretty easy to get toms to shock call by gobbling with your own voice....cheapest call of them all!  It isn't too terribly difficult to use your own voice to gobble, crow call, etc without a call!  The best bang for your buck is diaphrams! 

kdsberman

From my experience, the expensive calls are worth it. After using custom pot calls and mouth calls THEN picking up a call at the sporting goods store, I'll NEVER go back. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjnengr

Quote from: kdsberman on March 21, 2018, 06:46:44 PM
From my experience, the expensive calls are worth it. After using custom pot calls and mouth calls THEN picking up a call at the sporting goods store, I'll NEVER go back. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^

I'm not saying you can't find a store bought call that sounds good, but from my experience the "custom" calls are much easier to make good sounds out of them.  Most of the production calls take much more work to get a good consistent sound.  Although I won't say they don't exist,  I've never held a "custom" call (of any type) that sounded bad.  On the other hand it takes a handful of production calls to find one that works well and is easy to run. 

I even find that the "custom" diaphragm calls are much more consistent and sound better than the store bought varieties.