OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cheap calls vs expensive calls  (Read 32733 times)

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
Re: Cheap calls vs expensive calls
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
Cheap vs. Expensive doesn't always equal Bad vs. Great

There are great "cheap" calls, and bad "expensive" calls...

Custom vs. Production isn't always a clear difference either - but generally speaking, as pointed out by the previous responses - a custom call maker that is a true craftsman at making a call will most always be better than a mass produced call glued together in a shop in China. A truly talented call maker will only sell what they believe to be a quality product - or at least they should! That is generally the advantage with custom - the call you are buying should have been played by the call maker and passed his / her personal standard before they put their name on it and ship it out.

The ability to play the call factors in when it comes to final judgement. A great call made by a custom call maker will still sound mediocre in the hands of someone that doesn't play it well. But that same call in the hands of a proficient caller will sound fantastic. Likewise, a poor sounding call can only do so much, regardless of who is playing it. To quote: "Sometimes it's the Indian, and not the arrow..." - works both ways.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
I've had great and consistent results with a Primos gobbler tube. While I replace this call every two-three years, I'm still using the mouth calls that I started with eight season ago. I store them in a ziplock-type plastic bag in the refrigerator and soak them in a 50:50 solution of mouth wash and water for a couple of hours sometime before the season to soften them up, then use toothpicks to separate the reeds. When hunting, I use the mouth calls for tree yelps, fly down, and soft yelp to which gobblers usually respond. While the gobbler is still on the roost but has responded to my hen calling, I cut in with my gobbler tube to give the impression that a new hen to the area is being courted by an intruder gobbler. This way, I've got two things working for me, (1) the breeding instinct and (2) the peck order. This combination, along with a gobbler decoy of some sort-Pretty Boy, Funky Chicken, foam body, etc.- along with a hen on the ground directly in from of the gobbler decoy simulating the breeding position is usually deadly and has worked for several years in Southern Illinois to fill all three of my tags, most often with 20 yard shots or less. 

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 12:25:09 AM »
Looking at custom diaphragm calls verses mass-produced, there is not a huge price difference, and in many cases the custom calls are less expensive.

I have used Zink and Woodhaven, and although a grade above many other mass-produced calls, I would agree that they are over-priced…  Last couple season I have used Hooks and Gooserbat, and have been very happy with their calls in both the quality of sound and the durability…  The price of their calls is right in line with most mass-produced calls, but I feel there is a difference in quality and a world of difference in customer service.

One big advantage of a custom call is calling and talking to the call-maker.  I have talked on the phone with everyone that has made a turkey call for me (diaphragm, box, or scratch box).  I have told them what I want, and asked them for their advice as to which call will suit my needs…  I believe this has saved me a lot of money in trial and error.

That being said, there are box calls such as Lynch’s Fool Proof, or the Primos Heartbreaker that are proven calls in the field…  Although, not a lot of cost difference from most custom calls.

And, there is something to be said about holding a call in your hand or putting a call in your mouth that was made for you by someone taking pride in the quality of their work…  Kinda makes you feel all “special” inside…
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline supremepredator

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 05:50:02 PM »
Just fyi i bought that $9 thugs pot call. It was crap. Rosewood striker had a spilt and numerous chips in wood. Ash striker was uneven along the shaft and don't get me started on how bad the acrylic one sounded! A screen door made a better yelp! The pot was ok, a little heavy and felt that if it fell out of a vest it would shatter. Also bought a primos double gobble thinking it was the gobble tube. Sounded like a kazoo. Both are being returned and buying a custom pot, prolly from mike yingling
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
Just fyi i bought that $9 thugs pot call. It was crap. Rosewood striker had a spilt and numerous chips in wood. Ash striker was uneven along the shaft and don't get me started on how bad the acrylic one sounded! A screen door made a better yelp! The pot was ok, a little heavy and felt that if it fell out of a vest it would shatter. Also bought a primos double gobble thinking it was the gobble tube. Sounded like a kazoo. Both are being returned and buying a custom pot, prolly from mike yingling
Most of the turkey thug merchandise is sub par to put it nicely. Cheap junk to put it plainly. They are bottem of the barrel production calls made for walmart. There still are good production, big name calls that work fine. They just haven't sold their souls to walmart! 

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »
Now you're talking. Can't go wrong with a Yingling call man. I've got several Yingling pots and love them all. The crystal over slate is probably my go to pot but his titanium is gaining strong favor with me at the moment as well. I've got an aluminum, copper and just got his slate in the mail yesterday. The slate is by far the best slate I've ever played and while I'm not a slate fan, I'll be carrying this thing as it will make every turkey sound (minus a gobble) with the greatest of ease. Mike has all of his sound files on YouTube and uploads a sound file for all the calls he sells. Again, can't go wrong there man.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2016, 02:21:22 AM »
There is a lot of junk out there, and some of it custom.   

I'd prefer playing any call before I commit to buying it, or at the least hearing the maker play it.  The good thing about a custom call is most of your call makers stand behind their product and will make it right if your not satisfied.  You can usually get the maker on the phone.  Not true with mass produced calls.  I'd rather have a call made by an American turkey hunter than someone in another country who thinks their producing coasters with a drink stirrer.   

And I'm sure a lot of folks could take that $9 call and tag out year after year.         
:z-winnersmiley:

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »

:z-twocents: I've used production calls and custom calls and I'ld use custom over production calls anyday. Take Al Hobart of Enticer Calls. His Silver Fox is a consistent killer for me. He uses raw aluminum in an English Walnut pot and all you need is a piece of sandpaper to clean the striker once in a while. He has a good web site with plenty of how to videos. Part of consistently calling in birds is confidence in your caller and your calling with it. For a friction call I use a Marlin Watkins fiddle paddle, I've got two, both with bloodwood lids and they are killers. Enticer pots average $35 which is not out of most people's price range and SS calls are also reasonable, also Yingling pots. You can google names or just peg and pot calls and you will come up with many. A pot I would like to get in the future when I save the money is a Gary Anderson of Daybreak Calls. a ceramic, in Shedua wood. We are all looking for that siren caller that will call in toms with consistency. Tha main thing is having confidence in your call and your ability in using it. When you get hooked on turkey hunting this part of the allure of our sport, finding good calls and adding them to our arsenal. Its all personal preference. Good luck with your search, keep looking !  :newmascot:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »
For diaphragm calls, I think money comes less into play.

Woodhaven are amongst the more pricey calls, and they do make a nice call...  But, looking at guys like Gooserbat and Hooks, you can call them up, tell them what you are looking for, and they will send it to you (I figure if I purchase 5 calls, from one of these guys, I will really like 3-4 of them).  Their calls are about the same price as most commercial calls (less than some, more than others).

If I had to go into a sporting goods store and purchase a call, it would probably be a Woodhaven or Zink...  Both of which are priced more than most "custom" calls...  Not needing a call tomorrow, I would rather order "custom" calls.

With box calls, there are some good production calls made...  Topping my list would be the Primos Heartbreaker and the Lynch Foolproof.  Mike from Spring Creek makes a less expensive quality call than either of these, and once again you can call him and tell him what you want...  But, you get to pick up and try that Primos or Lynch in the store before you take it home.

I recently had an SS call made, and the cost ain't much more than the Primos or the Lynch, and it would most certainly go in my vest before either of those calls.

Then there are calls such as the Scratch Box calls, that are very affordable, and provide a unique sound...  I have one from SS and one from Lonnie Gilbert, and they will both be in my vest next season...  Being new to these calls, I find myself intrigued, and will likely play them more than other calls next season.  Once again, I was able to talk to the call maker and tell him what I wanted.

What I have found, is that for the most part, the really cheap calls are inexpensive for a reason...  I do believe there is some degree of correlation between cheaper calls and more expensive calls, but there are a number of reasonably priced calls out there that sound great.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »
I I'll jump in and say first"thanks for the kind words"  I try to build good calls and I know others do as well.  I'll say I agree with most of what has been said.  Especially about the pot and box calls.  I have made a blanket statement for years that not all custom calls are premium, and not all premium calls are custom.  For instance some makers pots, as are mine, are pretty much standardized and other makers, are rarely alike. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Cheap calls vs expensive calls
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
Best advice I'd say is to go to the NWTF convention in nashville since your right down the road. Meet some of these call makers and see the care and pride that goes into their calls and play theirs vs the big names like primos there. Not saying production calls are bad, I own some, but you can buy "field grade" custom calls for 30-50 range and that is buying a well built hand made call. Watch the classifieds also for really good deals if you want to save money. As far as sound goes most serious call makers wouldn't ever want their name on a bad products because reputation is everything in this business. I plan to acquire more custom calls, but still hit up wal mart for post season sales. I'm pretty new at turkey hunting but when the woods are quiet I'll pull out something different to try.

BTW I see gooserbat replied. If you make it to the convention go see him. Very nice guy, makes a great call, and has a great son who was also very helpful.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline jims

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2017, 03:51:19 AM »
If you do a search there are great call reviews on this website.  If you notice favorable trends towards certain less expensive calls...it is likely worth trying one out.  I bought several fairly expensive pot calls when I first started turkey hunting.  Now that I have a lot more experience under my belt an have tried out a number of calls...the fancy pot calls stay in my truck and I only use diaphragm calls.  Diaphragms are a fraction of the price, less movement to spook turkeys, and I can give a lot more variety of calls.  D-calls are a pain in the rear to learn how to use but are amazing once you get it down.  If it weren't for great youtube D-call videos I would have likely never have figure it out!

Offline supremepredator

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
Best advice I'd say is to go to the NWTF convention in nashville since your right down the road. Meet some of these call makers and see the care and pride that goes into their calls and play theirs vs the big names like primos there. Not saying production calls are bad, I own some, but you can buy "field grade" custom calls for 30-50 range and that is buying a well built hand made call. Watch the classifieds also for really good deals if you want to save money. As far as sound goes most serious call makers wouldn't ever want their name on a bad products because reputation is everything in this business. I plan to acquire more custom calls, but still hit up wal mart for post season sales. I'm pretty new at turkey hunting but when the woods are quiet I'll pull out something different to try.

BTW I see gooserbat replied. If you make it to the convention go see him. Very nice guy, makes a great call, and has a great son who was also very helpful.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
i had no idea there was a convention in Nashville. I'd check it out if i wasn't strapped for cash and had a vehicle.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2017, 05:43:12 PM »
I hunt just public land and I try to use custom calls alot. I have 2 MELVIN NEWMAN Box callers that I like alot. Now my Brother in Law made mr laugh one time in the Spring woods. We heard a guy yelping non-stop on a box caller as we were walking out and he said-- That sounds like a Lynch Box. We both have a Lynch Box and it did !!

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »
For us yes. For the turkeys no.