OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2016 spring turkey season comes to a close  (Read 3520 times)

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
2016 spring turkey season comes to a close
« on: May 29, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
2016 spring turkey season ended for me this past Wednesday, a day earlier than I had intended.  I had an enjoyable week, and because I’ve been a big slacker on sharing hunts on here as of late, I thought I’d share the last few birds that only put the highlight on this spring’s already incredible season.  I entered the week with 3 tags in 2 locations and 4 mornings to fill them... A tall order, but I was looking forward to trying.   

Monday morning I started off slipping into a section of woods I was sure a group of gobblers I had previously had a very close call with were roosted.  Humid and some light rain.. nothing gobbles anywhere close to me.  I sit there for a bit, nothing flies out within earshot.  There were a few gobbles across the way, and I “thought” I heard two gobbles that were definitely on private to the other direction.   I tried to see how close I could get to the bird gobbling more steadily, and it was pointless.. just couldn’t get close enough to be able to do anything with him.  I head towards where I thought I heard the other bird and as I get closer – I get a bird to answer.  Two birds, definitely on private and not seeming to want to budge.  I play for a while and I wasn’t getting anywhere.  The sun was starting to break out and I knew birds would be rolling so I left them gobbling.  The 3rd spot I hit was one I had been working a bird in I was certain was a bruiser.. I get him to gobble and stay on him for 2 ½ hours.. he didn’t gobble much, but would let me know he was still there periodically and I even thought it was going to happen at one point.  Eventually he went quiet and I lost him.. I slipped out to not disturb him any more.  Back to the original spot.. driving down the road I pass the public field near where I worked the pair earlier.. low and behold.. two longbeards on public with no hens in sight.  I park and slip into the woods.  I'm approaching them and yelp.. nothing.  Move up closer, yelp and they hammer back.. already inside the woods!  It seems they're going around a different way than I intended so I am all but running to get to a certain point where I felt I'd be better off working them from.  I'm cutting the whole way in an attempt to redirect them.  When I sit down, I pour it on them for a minute and they eat it up!  It doesn't take long and I see 2 longbeards coming through the woods - 12:54 I finally get a clear shot and he perks up for me just at the right moment. 
Very pleased to see these on him when I get up to him! 

Tuesday - the dilemma hit on where to start out.  Knowing what Monday's bird was sporting hookwise and that he had a brother with him put him higher on the list.. but I still had that other bird I worked late morning Monday that I had 6 hunts invested in at this point this year and just had the feeling he was a good bird.  Being stubborn - I needed the closure on that bird.  So I slip in early where I thought he would be.  Rain before gobble time had things pretty quiet, which I loved for the walk in but no so much come gobble time.   I don't hear a peep.  I tree yelp some.. nothing.  About the time I think a bird could be on the ground I let out a real yelp and a bird HAMMERS on top of it 60-70 yds away.  It seems he's moving back and forth, but not gaining any ground towards me.  This goes on for a long time.  I've called a good bit, at times getting pretty saucy with him.  At 6:39... he finally flies out!  'Doh - had no idea he was still in the tree.  I guess he had a long branch he was walking up and down on.  He pitches out towards a private field.  Next time he gobbles he is in it.  I reposition some and try to heat him up.  I can already tell he's winding down as now there's hens out in that field as well.  I catch a glimpse of him moving away from me.  Call some more.. thought I was screwed for the time being and let my guard down a hair.  Next thing you know he steps out 35 yards away.  My hands aren't on my gun.. I let him walk behind a tree and make my moves.. when he steps out on the other side I was head down on the stock and ready to rock.  6:57 he down!
After seeing a couple birds already this season.. I had begun to think I was going to mess up my multibeard streak.. happy to see this on this guy. 

Spurs weren't what I was hoping for at 1 1/8", but he was a heavy one for this late at 22lbs 8oz.

So being tagged out there, I now have to change it up for the last tag.  MDBowman hunted Tuesday night and heard a bird gobble 4 times close to dark.  He was in a small section of woods I know pretty well, but being that he walked around there before dark.. didn't know where he might be roosted so tried a different spot first thing Wednesday morning.  Ended up calling in the same pair of jakes twice. 

Moved to another spot and no luck.. at this point its well after noon.  I head towards where MDBowman heard that bird.  Sat and called for a few, nothing.  Covered that section of woods.. nothing.  I move through a large field that has a thick hedgerow leading to a small field.  I slip through that hedgerow and am real careful coming out the other side.  There's a dark spot against the woods on the other side but I thought it was just a shadow.  As I step out to look farther up the field, that dark spot lifts it's red head.  I freeze.. I can't tell if it's a jake or lb.. He takes a few steps out into the field to check me out a little better as he didn't know what I was.  I see the beard swing.  I raise up, knowing its a longer shot, I take the time to bear down and squeeze the trigger.  1:55pm he goes flopping.  Maybe not the perfect hunt we all look for, but I'm not one for passing up a gift. 

Decent spurs on him too

I sat next to that bird for a long time just taking it all in.  It has been a great season, as they all are.  I feel very fortunate that God made me a turkey hunter, that I had my father to introduce me to it, and that I am able to hunt this bird.  To be able to see, hear and feel things that the majority of people will never understand.  There is no real way to describe it. 

I apologized to my father for killing that bird! lol.  Even had to take him Thursday morning in which we had a very exciting hunt but didn't end in a gunshot.. however he evened the score without me Friday. 

Is it April yet?

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
2016 spring turkey season comes to a close
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:48 AM »
Great write up. You had an awesome season and kept the streak going !
You guys had a ton of rain and bad weather this year, didn't you ?

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Offline Doug Lewis

Re: 2016 spring turkey season comes to a close
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
 :you_rock:

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
Great write up. You had an awesome season and kept the streak going !
You guys had a ton of rain and bad weather this year, didn't you ?

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Rain/clouds/rain/clouds - there was a 2-3 week stretch there where we did not see the sun.  Made it nice when it finally came out though. 

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »
Congrats on another great season. Nice write-up.

Offline DMP

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »
Great job Derek.....

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
Derek  Once again congrats on some super birds. I'm a spur man myself, but that one with the two beards got my attention.  Good job.. 
Don't gobble at me...

Offline canadatom

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
Congrats on an awesome season!!

Offline whitelightning

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 11:39:25 PM »
Great season brother. you really poured the coals on towards the end there. but I gotta ask...is it April yet?
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tn8dB2k.gif/img]