OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: benelli m2 w/21" barrel  (Read 4157 times)

Offline PineyRooster

benelli m2 w/21" barrel
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »
been looking at the m2 with 21" barrel decked out in realtree APG. seems like it would be the perfect size for turkey hunting and a lot shorter than my sbe2.. anybody have any insight or experience with these short barrel as far as pattern? ive had a short barrel 870 that patterned great but what very little I have found on the short barrel benelli's have been conflicting.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
Re: benelli m2 w/21" barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
been looking at the m2 with 21" barrel decked out in realtree APG. seems like it would be the perfect size for turkey hunting and a lot shorter than my sbe2.. anybody have any insight or experience with these short barrel as far as pattern? ive had a short barrel 870 that patterned great but what very little I have found on the short barrel benelli's have been conflicting.

First of all, that is a fine shotgun. Short barrelled guns can be very handy. I have several and like the fact that they are easy to carry and very maneuverable. They can also be "challenging" to pattern well at times. When I look at shorter barrelled guns and turkey hunting, what I want to see is quite similar to what I want to see from any other gun, an even pattern with few if any 2" or larger gaps. I am much less interested in numbers or the quantity of the hits than I am with the quality of the pattern.

I've owned Benelli shotguns since 1991 when I bought my first SBE. I own several now with many different barrel lengths. Each of those barrels has its own personality. They respond differently to different levels of cleanliness. I know each of them and from shooting them many times know how they react.

If you'll start with a good "deep clean" http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel and not clean in any way between shots, you'll also learn just what that 21" barrel likes best. It may want to be squeaky clean, a bit fouled or very fouled and the only way you'll find out is to follow those guidelines.

Benelli shotguns with their chrome-lined bores can look clean when in fact they are quite dirty. The bores are generally tighter than most other shotguns. The exit diameter of the choke that works best with them largely depends upon the brand of choke and the type of internal geometry that the particular manufacture uses. There is no magic exit diameter that works for all brands of chokes.

Some brands of chokes work well with the same e.d. with lead and tungsten-based shot shells and some differ in what works best, within the same brand.

If that short barrelled gun feels good to you, I would not hesitate to purchase it. Working out what works best in it can easily happen.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:53:14 PM »
I loved the one I had, traded it in for the 20 gauge model though.  It would do 200ish hits in 10" circle with .665 Indian Creek and 3" LB #6's.  I am sure you could get a good hunting pattern with the right choke.

Offline PineyRooster

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:28 PM »
thanks for the replies.. I have the sbe2 with a 26" barrel which I like very much but was just thinking that the smaller shotgun would fit me better and be more handier in the turkey woods.. I would have to trade in my sbe2 in order to make that happen tho. Just trying to get some opinions and all before I do that tho and seeing if that would be worth it

Offline Roughneck

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:20:01 PM »
Had one for 3 years now love it. I shoot 3inch mag blends with a jelly head max choke and it loves it. Very light weight easy to carry. Would highly recommend getting one.