OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Late season bird down!!!  (Read 2775 times)

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
Late season bird down!!!
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »
Finally, after what has been my most frustrating season in years...I punched a tag!!!

Well, I saw this guy strutting around out in the field last night with 3 hens. I had been waching them out here nearly every day for going on two months now. Back on the 15th I hunted him for the first time (other than during the youth season) and had a 5.5 hour battle, which I nearly won, but it was too brushy to shot when he finally came in. This morning I set up in the groundblind again with the dekes behind me. He started gobbling at 5:15.  I let him carry on until he hit the ground, then I let out a few calls on the crystal which got one of his girlfriends fired up...with in turn got him fired up!  After a few minutes a hen came out to check out the dekes and he came out running.  As he came motoring down in 3/4 strut I immediately noticed his stubby beard...but didn't even hesitate on leveling him. Guess, he was a different bird than I had been watching.  He's not a record breaker by any means, but I am extremely thankful to take him this late in season.  One week left to knock down #2...or get my wife on a bird if I can get her out of bed in the morning!  :z-dizzy:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:00:00 PM by WNY Bowhunter »
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Late season bird down!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
Congratulations! Those tough season really humble a guy and makes them appreciate when times are good. I have been there. Great bird and I would have plowed him as well. It almost looks like it was cut off by hand it is so straight.

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Late season bird down!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:21:59 PM »
When did you start using a vintage 835? Thought you shot a BPS.

Congrats on the late season gobbler! You will fill that second soon I bet.

Offline WNY Bowhunter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:57:54 PM »
When did you start using a vintage 835? Thought you shot a BPS.

Congrats on the late season gobbler! You will fill that second soon I bet.

I still have my BPS but the rib got smashed down on it. I want to get a new barrel. The 835 belongs to a buddy of mine. He just picked it up and wanted me to break it in for him.  It patterns great. Just need to get him to sell it to me now!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:13:30 AM »
Congrats!  Been waiting to see a dead turkey pic!  I thought the same thing about the gun.  tell your buddy it shoots horrible and the only way you were able to kill that turkey was with a choke hold  ;) so you might as well take it off his hands.

Offline 2dogs1name

Late season bird down!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
Nice work!

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 09:15:40 PM »
good luck the last few days!