turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chalking a scratcher?

Started by Marc, May 19, 2016, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have noticed that my scratcher (or more accurately the strikers) seem to require more chalking than my box calls...  Is this typical?

Is there a particular kind of chalk that works better for longer?  I am using the big brown chalk I bought at Wingsupply for $0.25 per large stick...

Should I actually be chalking the call, or just the strikers, or both???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Candyman

I use Rain Chalk. Works really well for me.

KentuckyHeadhunter

You should only have to chalk the striker. And yes you will do it way more frequently than a box call. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

TauntoHawk

I use rain chalk or the red kind and yes they eat chalk much quicker than a box.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

drenalinld

Most scratchers need frequent chalking. Rain chalk does last longer but gives it more bite. Some scratchers this works well. Others do not need or work will with the additional bite. Always chalk the strikers only. With box calls only chalk the lid.

gergg

I hardly ever chalk my strikers, matter of fact my scratch boxes tend to sound better with hardly any chalk. If I do chalk them I pat them on some cotton to remove a bunch, or run them a few dozen times to remove the excess so they will sound lively again. I do make my scratchers super sensitive though, so maybe that makes a difference. I use the white railroad chalk.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Marc

Thank you guys...  Nice to know I am not doing something wrong.

Might have to try the Rainchalk next season...

Thus far my biggest complaint of the scratch boxes would be the excessive need for chalking.  I chalk a  box call the night before hunting, and rarely need to chalk during the hunt.  If I finish a series on the Scratcher, I find I need to chalk.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

Could always try and find yourself a Lost John scratch box. The striker was a piece of chalk so no need to worry about chalking. Only thing is, pretty sure they've not made a call in years and finding one is difficult. Couple that with the fact that if the chalk breaks finding a new piece to fit is near impossible. I need to have a talk with a call maker to see what they can work up for me in terms of a replacement because the piece of chalk in mine isn't going to last forever. Did find out the my SS striker works just fine with it though and I really don't use it much if at all so it's probably fine either way really.