Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Kansas

Started by spurman, May 20, 2016, 09:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurman

I just got back fro NC KS on the 14th. We hunted from the 7 to 13th. The weather crapped on us for 3 days straight. Storms 3 days in a row with 30 to 40 mph winds. I know that want stop turkeys from doing turkey stuff but where we hunt there are a lot of dirt roads and after just a slight shower the roads are impassable for several hours even with 4 wheel drive. There were 5 of us hunting different properties all private. We did manage to kill 7 nice long beards, 2 with double beards' and one guy completed his Grand Slam. We had to work (if you can call hunting work) really hard just to find turkeys. I think this was my 5 or 6 th. year and we heard less gobbling and saw fewer turkeys that ever. I am hoping this was a one time thing. Anyway it was a fun trip and if I am able I will be there next spring.

Here is a picture from a close encounter on one of my Kentucky hunts.

Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

jarbo03

I would say the lack of gobbling is due to the weather,  our spring was crazy before that also.  Also seems to be a large presence of predators this year too.  Bird numbers have been back on the rise over last year.   I hunt some areas not far from there,  hopefully meet in upcoming trips.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Happy

I think I would have been looking FIA different place to sit!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club