OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question on fitting and mounting

Started by Life of Riley, July 25, 2016, 10:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

For those of you who shoot a youth or compact model gun, is it a negative to have such a shorter length of pull versus a standard stock? Is there a big change in how or where you mount the gun?

gobblergls

In that most aim a turkey gun like aiming a rifle, LOP is not as critical as it is on moving targets with shotgun wingshooting.  LOP can easily be increased by adding a slip on pad which doubles up on pads (as in my Super Bantam) which not only increases LOP, but also reduces felt recoil.  Otherwise, it's no big deal to me.

g8rvet

I added a limbsaver to make the youth model fit my daughter.  I could shoot it with no issue.  I got used to a shorter pull as my old Winchester 101 had a shorter pull and it was just how I shot as I grew.  Takes me a bit to get reacquainted when I pull it out for doves, but I manage.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

2dogs1name

I personally like the shorter LOP...I reduce all my stocks and add a nice pad...works great for me.

BowBendr

Im a big guy, 6'1" and dress out about 245, i love the shorter LOP. When im nestled up against a tree it's perfect !

Gods of Thunder
2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Swampchickin234

My personal self, I can't do a youth stock. I've got to slip on a pad.  Grew up wing shooting and I've tried and tried and tried to like the micro stocks but it's just to awkward. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur

I have a youth stock on one and a shortened stock on the other of my two turkey guns
and I love them especially when the birds wont cooperate with the perfect shot.
Sometimes a cross your body shot or a off handed (left in my case )shot comes up and
at that point in time I'm really glad I have a shorter stock ..,
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Greg Massey

On my remington 870 youth, i put one of the shurshot stocks on the gun, I really like this stock. On my mossberg 500, i put one of the collapsible stock on this gun, so i could either have it long or short for a kid. I like the collapsible just as good..