North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Birdless season comes to an end

Started by wvmntnhick, May 15, 2016, 01:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

No, I still doesn't get one.  :TooFunny:

Our season ended yesterday. It was a grueling season for sure. Hunted more this year than ever before. Had a few close calls but the weather killed it for the most part. 18 straight days with rain. Much of it in the morning hours prevented the birds from gobbling as they should. It also held them on the roost longer than it should have. Most mornings they were still on the roost when I'd have to be heading out to get to work. Such is life though. It's been a while since I've been shut out like this and I'd like to once again apologize for my short comings. The last two days of the season were two of the most productive for me and I really thought yesterday was going to be the day. Friday morning I was going to stop at a piece of private ground but found someone was already there. I looped back and went behind the land owners house. Nothing there so I beat it back to the truck and hit one more farm. Bird gobbled well and was on his way. Unfortunately, duty calls and he watched me walk away. The bird was still some distance away but he was coming for sure. I thought that was the one that was going to hurt the most. Little did I know, Saturday was going to be the real eye opener.

Saturday morning I went with a buddy to a place that had only been hunted once all year. It's an archery only location so we took the crossbows and he brought along another fella and his young son. We split up. I went one way and they went another. Got to a field edge where the birds were gobbling on the other side pretty good. Placed the decoy and waited for fly down. Was working some birds on my left. Pulled out a pot call and made two series of yelps, was placing it back in my pocket only to look right in front of me and see 2 jakes standing there. Last day of season, I would have shot one of them but you can already tell that didn't happen. No matter, lots of birds gobbling around me. Went back to focusing on the birds on my left when a couple of 2 y/o's started in from my right. Turned my attention to them as they were coming quickly. Waited for them to crest the hill but instead they came around the side of it. I was stuck. Unfortunately, they didn't come close enough to see the decoy so they left. Had more birds to my right but they were going around me quickly. Those guys had an agenda and it wasn't coming to investigate my calling. I beat it to the top of the hill to watch them strut quickly across the field into the neighboring woods. Once out of sight I sprinted back around the back side but I couldn't seem to get ahead of them. No clue where they went. We stayed in there until noon but it just didn't work out. My buddy and his friend missed 3 turkey in there that morning. It's a shame that it ended like this but I'll get after them again next spring and will make it all work out one way or the other.

Again, sorry for the bad run. If y'all need to replace my worthless efforts next spring, I understand totally. Congrats to all that connected this year and to those that shot some exceptional birds.

GobbleNut

Regardless of the final outcome, it sounds like you had a great season,...except for the "shooting" part.  Although we all hope to get a bird or two each spring, it is often more about "the journey" than reaching the sought-after destination. 

As for not having a bird to score for the team, that is the thing that matters least.  This is really all about the camaraderie among the team and all the others that participate more-so than the contest.  You have been a great teammate,...posting and participating on this forum more than most of us.  We Crusaders should be happy to have you back again next year. ....Besides, with the luck you had this spring, you are due to kill a whopper or two next year!   :D :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

No need to apologize for a bare season . Sounds like you had a lot a fun.
We will keep you around cause I'm sure you will lay the hammer on a big ole Mountain bird for us next year...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wvmntnhick

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 15, 2016, 02:39:38 PM
Regardless of the final outcome, it sounds like you had a great season,...except for the "shooting" part.  Although we all hope to get a bird or two each spring, it is often more about "the journey" than reaching the sought-after destination. 

As for not having a bird to score for the team, that is the thing that matters least.  This is really all about the camaraderie among the team and all the others that participate more-so than the contest.  You have been a great teammate,...posting and participating on this forum more than most of us.  We Crusaders should be happy to have you back again next year. ....Besides, with the luck you had this spring, you are due to kill a whopper or two next year!   :D :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the kind words and inspiration that followed. The journey was certainly a long one and there was tons of laughs and fun shared along the way. Plenty of head scratching but fun nonetheless. Had a few close calls but just couldn't put it all together this year. Next year though, I'll even the odds. Managed to gain some access to some great ground. Can't go alone but I've at least had some new opportunities open up. Just gotta wait for a year to put it action.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: hookedspur on May 15, 2016, 04:13:39 PM
No need to apologize for a bare season . Sounds like you had a lot a fun.
We will keep you around cause I'm sure you will lay the hammer on a big ole Mountain bird for us next year...

Heck with those mountain birds. These farm land birds are bigger. Besides, those mountain birds are way smarter than I'll ever be.

cmadams

If u never had a bad season u never hunted! Better luck next year!

turkey buster

Even though I am from an opposing team, but to a fellow hunter, I wish you better luck next year. Don't be discouraged and as some of your teammates have said its more about the hunt anyway! I sometimes myself neglect that. I did finally tag out, but as you, I hunted harder and longer than most seasons past to get there. I kicked myself and some decisions along the way, but it was after that last tag was filled and the season was over did I look back and realize how great the journey really was.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: turkey buster on May 15, 2016, 08:12:26 PM
Even though I am from an opposing team, but to a fellow hunter, I wish you better luck next year. Don't be discouraged and as some of your teammates have said its more about the hunt anyway! I sometimes myself neglect that. I did finally tag out, but as you, I hunted harder and longer than most seasons past to get there. I kicked myself and some decisions along the way, but it was after that last tag was filled and the season was over did I look back and realize how great the journey really was.

OH I'm not discouraged one bit. Disappointed is more the word that would define my current feelings. The birds were all jacked up this year and on the ones that I know I could've/should've killed, either I messed up or some other circumstance pulled me away. It's okay though. Every county in the state gets a fall season this year and I intend to get one this fall for sure. And next spring, the birds had better watch out. I'm coming at them with a vengeance.  :TooFunny: