Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Upgrade coming.

Started by xarcher, May 14, 2016, 06:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

xarcher

1 1/4 each, 18 plus, 10.5. Film at 11.

xarcher

Watched a lonbbeard and 3 hens cross a right of way about 1/2 hour before dark last night.  So I set up on opposite side of the right of way this morning about 5 AM.  Around 5:40 or so I was a little surprised when the only gobbling I heard was across the ROW and over 400 yards to the left.  But instead of moving towards the gobbling I decided to stay put.  The birds I saw last night had to be closer than that and I did not want to get busted if they were close.  So I waited until I figured they should be on the ground and yelped a little.  A few minutes later I hear a yappy hen and she's coming.  She steps out into the right of way directly across from me and freezes.  She stands there for a few minutes looking around for that other hen then turned around and went back where she came from.  When she disappeared into the woods, I yelp real hard and I get a gobble off to my left, but now maybe 150 yards or less.  In the next 15 minutes he gobbles a time or two and getting closer.  Next thing I see is his red and white head pop up over a little crest to my left.  He showed me his full fan strut and that's all I needed.  Next thing he does is step behind a tree which allowed me to swing my gun and get ready.  For the next couple of minutes he would play peek a boo around either side of that tree and strut around, but eventually gave me a clean shot at his noggin. 

The first picture is him.  The second is the ROW looking in the direction where he came from.   

FullChoke

Congratulations on outwitting this beautiful old boss.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

harleytom

Congrats. Great display of self restraint and patience.

surehuntsalot

congrats on a beautiful bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase