turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-13 on birds

Started by Cutt, April 04, 2011, 12:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

With all the talk of Hevi-13 and penetration, has anyone ever lost a bird shot with Hevi-13, that you could honestly contribute to the lack of penetration?

The only acceptable response will have to be a bird that was literally knocked down and got away. I'm sure many have just plain out missed them with Hevi, and may claim poor penetration? But if you nailed him good enough to kill, he would definitely get knocked over or rolled, so no misses.

We here a lot of good reports, and see pics with Hevi-13 and penetration on actual birds, but also here many poor results on medium/material other than a turkey itself? So these poor penetration results only apply to a bird, as stated was knocked down and got away, not a miss.

Dwnforce

I shot some 3 inch #5's at 30 yds at a piece of 3 inch dupont foam that is real dense..and it blows thru it like butter..This is my first year using them and feel that its gonna be a powerhouse on turks..but with that said you can miss a bird with 10 dollars shells just as easy as you can with $50 shells...

Cutt

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 04, 2011, 12:49:16 PM
I shot some 3 inch #5's at 30 yds at a piece of 3 inch dupont foam that is real dense..and it blows thru it like butter..This is my first year using them and feel that its gonna be a powerhouse on turks..but with that said you can miss a bird with 10 dollars shells just as easy as you can with $50 shells...

Very true, all the claims of poor penetration are on medium/material. Just seeing if there are any poor results on an actual birds themselves, because we're not hunting plywood and fireboard? And on the other hand there are definitely many good results on actual birds.

Dwnforce

I think you should load the turkey gun up with Hevis and put one down for a dirt nap! :you_rock:

Cutt

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 04, 2011, 01:09:18 PM
I think you should load the turkey gun up with Hevis and put one down for a dirt nap! :you_rock:

I do plan on using them, although it will be my first season with them.

Dwnforce

Me too but im droppin thors hammer on em... :anim_25:

gobbler74

There are some members here that skinned their birds around the shot that killed them and checked penetration and even posted pics...
I feel confident in 12 gram 7's from H13 up to 50 yards. relying on lucky pellets on even farther ranges just isn't a good habit to practice..It will burn you eventually.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

WyoHunter

I don't know about a gobbler that's hit squarely in the body but any hit in the head and neck area wouldn't survive. That of course assumes he's within range. Poor shooting and bad range estimation which results in a wounded bird isn't the fault of ammo.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Tom Foolery

I shot a jake just a shade over 30yds on Saturday, 5 pellets hit the left breast and exited the right breast, no pellets in the meat.  Apparently the rest of the pellets hit his head as it was destroyed. 

WAY missed the yardage on Sunday and fired and the tom flew off.  Too far to be shooting so it was not the fault of the shells.

mossybird

I tell ya, I believe all the hype about HTL and they may pattern better. Saturday I took my little brother on the youth hunt. He shot two gobblers with one shot they dropped like a 9 pound hammer at 32 yards. Guess what? That was with Winchester High Velocity 3-2-6 LEAD. Like i said, I know HTL will kill turkeys at 60 yards easy, but Whos shooting that far? Most of your shots are within 45 yards. Anyway, its your personal preference.

knightrider

with in 60 yards you can not blame the ammo, if it is hit and knocked down then gets up it is either to far or shooter error

goblr77

Toasted a longbeard at 52 steps with 2.25 oz #7's this afternoon. That's about as far as I want to shoot one. Shot another at 47 steps Saturday before last. Used two different guns that sling over 300 @ 40 so I'm sure pattern density played a big part in it. After seeing long confirmed kills from folks last year and seeing it firsthand this season I don't doubt the Hevi 7's at all. Any test medium besides a gobbler head and neck doesn't mean a thing to me.