OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why 20 gauge LEAD shooters should NOT be obsessed with a 40 yard pattern  (Read 15962 times)

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
Obviously, closer is better but I think that we have all had birds
get "hung up" at 50 or 60 yards and have no choice but to
take a longer shot.  This is the reason Magnum Blends are my choice

You could choose not to pull the trigger at 50 or 60 yards and hunt him another day... just sayin'. If I have a bird that "hangs" at that distance - he wins that round.

Offline SpitNDrumN

Why 20 gauge LEAD shooters should NOT be obsessed with a 40 yard pattern
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 05:22:27 PM »
The longbeard #6's out of .555 IC are 40 yard loads all day as far as lead loads go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hook hanger

Obviously, closer is better but I think that we have all had birds
get "hung up" at 50 or 60 yards and have no choice but to
take a longer shot.  This is the reason Magnum Blends are my choice

That's called self restraint and respect for the game you hunt! Raining brown ducks you make yourself sound like your a sky buster that would shoot at 60yd high mallards instead of finishing them to the water.

Offline turkeyinstrut

Re: Why 20 gauge LEAD shooters should NOT be obsessed with a 40 yard pattern
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
I shot lead for years and when I started turkey hunting that's all there was and I have killed many, many birds with lead shot, then I moved to hevi shot and had great success with it and now I shoot TSS. Like somebody else said, I want to use the very best shell I can and TSS is it, not because I can kill a turkey at 80 or 90 yards because nobody should be shooting that far at a turkey it's because of the much denser patterns and it is very forgiving. If you misjudge your yardage by 5 or 10 or even 15 yards TSS will cover you unless you are shooting a ridiculous distance to begin with, if you think he is 35 and he is really 52 you are good because TSS will cover you. I have killed a bunch of turkeys in my life time and I am not the best at judging distance (especially in a field) and the TSS hasn't let me down yet.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
Re: Why 20 gauge LEAD shooters should NOT be obsessed with a 40 yard pattern
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 03:08:28 PM »
The "Best" is what kills the bird at the range you choose to limit your shots to. I like mine up close and personal. I have no problem letting a bird walk when it's not in range and my goal is to enjoy the time spend in woods.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.