OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why 20 gauge LEAD shooters should NOT be obsessed with a 40 yard pattern  (Read 15961 times)

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
If you are content with getting a bird within 30 yards and know that pattern , then why worry over a 40 yard pattern? My lead loads at 40 don't look too sporty but you look at my 30 and even some 35 yard patterns and there is no question that the bird will be right there to pick up after the shot.

I have been on here for years and for some "authorities" seem to poo poo anyone shooting at a turkey if they can't get 200-300 pellets inside a 10" circle at 40 yards , regardless of load, and furthermore, just a few more started looking down on anyone who still uses lead to shoot turkeys.

It is not about the cost of a shell for me and yes, I do agree that my favorite 20 gauge load is the Federal HW #7 in 2 3/4" or 3". Would that keep me from going turkey hunting if all I had was lead loads? Not hardly.  :popcorn: :TrainWreck1: :z-dizzy:

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
It wouldn't slow me down. What ever I may use,I know my limitations. Just give me a good even pattern,I'm very happy with my 30/35 yard lead patterns.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Turkey guns and loads are all about knowing their limitations.
So if a lead load in a 20 gauge doesn't give you a satisfactory pattern at 40 then so be it.
If you want to shoot a lead load in a 20 just know it's limits and hunt and have fun.
If you want to shoot to kill at 40 , I like the HW 7's.

Offline cluck

I hunt turkey's with a twenty gauge and lead loads. Just have to know the range to old tom. If he's to far then hunt him another day. Some day someone will post a picture of a 100 plus 40 yard number six shot pattern. Winchester needs to get the lead out if you know what I mean!!! It's coming to a movie theater near you if you know what I mean.     Cluck

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
I think we over emphasized the 40yards and 10in circle to a point it's become a craze. I understand completely the more dense and even the pattern the better, but when did 99 pellets on paper quit killing turkeys when a few well placed ones on his noggin does just fine.

Turkey crazes that we've started
1) 3in mag
2) 3.5in mag
3) HTL and TSS
4) Lead quit killing
5) 10in circles (even if 8inches off POA)
6) Turkeys don't die at 41 yards. Granted I perfer 30 or closer for the sport of it
7) Grand Slams and commericalized hunting

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
7.5 dove loads will kill them all day long, as long as the shots are not a mile away! Even with with lead shot the 20ga is deadly in the hand of someone with experience.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
been turkey hunting a long time, 30-35yd shots is what I'm facing 90% of the time
I like shooting lead shells in my 20 or 12
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
I would have killed both birds this year had I been shooting lead from my 20 - no doubt.  Last year I shot one at 38 yards and probably would not have taken the shot with lead. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
So sanity is still alive with the 20 gauge guys. Thanks for the many good points made here.

Enjoy the sport whatever it may be. A bream on a cane pole with a cork and cricket ain't no Orvis fly rod and $XXXX reel but for many it is still fun watching that cork ease under . Know what I 'm saying?

I did not get to shoot again this year but gave a few people fond memories and I can still make em gobble hard.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger

Enjoy the sport whatever it may be. A bream on a cane pole with a cork and cricket ain't no Orvis fly rod and $XXXX reel but for many it is still fun watching that cork ease under . Know what I 'm saying?

Wow Raj,This is Awesome! ^^^^^ K.I.S.S 
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline BandedSpur

I appreciate and admire fellas that are content with 30 yd shotguns. And I'm all about carrying a lightweight wand, but I don't want to give up a single yard of killing distance, which is of course why I load TSS.

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard

I like my stuff to work when everything else is wrong.  I've killed very few birds over 40yds, most are 30 and in but there are those few that just won't cooperate or there was some brush I didn't see or I misjudge the yardage.  I am for shooting the best ammo I can, not what just will work, but they best I can get.

I'm there to turkey hunt and when I can kill a few.  I love the days in the woods, the great early mornings, all the adventures you get yourself into while stomping the spring woods.  I'm there to get them in my sights, kill them and pack them out.  I know lots of guys will let them win, I'm not one of those guys.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard

I like my stuff to work when everything else is wrong.  I've killed very few birds over 40yds, most are 30 and in but there are those few that just won't cooperate or there was some brush I didn't see or I misjudge the yardage.  I am for shooting the best ammo I can, not what just will work, but they best I can get.

I'm there to turkey hunt and when I can kill a few.  I love the days in the woods, the great early mornings, all the adventures you get yourself into while stomping the spring woods.  I'm there to get them in my sights, kill them and pack them out.  I know lots of guys will let them win, I'm not one of those guys.

Well said.  Pretty much how I feel and hunt.  I really like eating them.  A lot.  When I get the chance, I squeeze the trigger. I have plenty of people that I can take and leave the gun at home.  My season was done in 10 days this year on the trigger, but I was in the woods until the very last day.  Hunted every chance I got, just did not have the gun. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
I use lead loads in my 20 ga. I will not shoot past 35 yards. 25 to 30 is better.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline rock54

hey guys I guess I am from a different breed, my wife and I are dedicated decoy hunters and she cant sit still so that

makes us blind hunters too...my decoys are set up 12 steps from the blind and our guns are set up and pattern to 25yds

so we shoot lead all the time and we have killd some birds, I know everyone has their own reason for what they shoot

out of their guns, but lead is still dead and that works for the both of us, good luck to all, russ