Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Most irritating season of all

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 07, 2016, 08:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Man... I'm hating these birds right now. If a Jake gives me a chance.... Boom.

Closest I have come is a bird busting me at 35 yards and ducking for cover and scooting out of there. That's been my season. Rained on me for the last 5 straight days. Been in it too! Nothing. Go to the fields they say.... Well I went to about 8 different fields. Not a bird.

Today I decide to go somewhere that I know birds are ALWAYS at, during one point of the day or another. Rain subsides, sun comes out.... Decoy out.... And a couple Bald Eagles land in the middle of the damn field and are just hanging out and enjoying the sun. These damn things are like pigeons here. Equally as annoying as a crow.

2 years in and nothing to show, my wife thinks I'm crazier then ever.

Any way... 7 days to go.

Wish me luck.... Say a prayer.... Mail me a turkey.... Something... Anything....  :help:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

jepcho

I feel your pain man. It took my until my 5th season to finally break through and kill my first. That's been 12 years ago now and I have only had a few tags go unfilled since. It's tough starting out, especially when you're out pretty much learning on your own. Good luck and keep after them. I have confidence you'll get it done

Ozark870Hunter

5 seasons before I tagged a bird as well. I seem to tag birds every season now. Hang in there. It will all come together at some point.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

ILHUNTER

Hang in there patience and perseverance will pay off.  Luckily I had a good teacher my first year when I started out.  Been on my own ever since and have always seemed to get the job done.  Stay after them.

357MAGNOLE

Thanks for not crapping on me.  Needed to vent a bit.

I have 6 days left, I am on a mid shift working over night daily and coming home to kids to deal with. So this last week will be exhausting.  In a few short months I pack out my house and move to North Florida. Cant wait, hope they have some decent areas to hunt close by. I know there is some good gobbler hunting in south Ga where my buddy runs a hunting plantation, but it is a good 2-3 hour drive.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

WNCTracker

Some times things don't seem to click, I had empty tags my first 2 seasons.  But each time out you learn something and eventually you'll look back and understand things better.  6 days is still plenty of time to make it happen!  I've seen A LOT of lonely gobblers around here lately and our season is over.  I've been hearing more afternoon gobbles than I did all season.  Enjoy your last few hunts in VA, I hope you connect!