OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossy factory choke & Hevi Shot?

Started by smitty1hunter, April 04, 2011, 09:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitty1hunter

Was wondering if anyone has tried using the factory choke with the hevi shot? I know the choke says lead only but was wondering if the hevis would be ok? i know steel is a no no.  Also, if so, how did it pattern? I will prob get a pure gold but funds a little low at this time. Thanks. BTW, this is a 835 mossberg, 24".

mcgruff1533

I've never done it personally, but I have fired Hevi through my standard Undertaker .665" without any problems.     

bowhunter84

i shot hevi through my factory 835 turkey choke with no problems

Mike Honcho

I did a brief comparison recently with the factory mossy Ulti Full choke vs. an Undertaker HIGH DENSITY model choke.

The Undertaker High Density (not the regular Undertaker for lead shot ) patterned much better than the factory mossy.

I was shooting EM Mag Blends 5, 6, 7's  3 1/2" 12ga.  at 40 yards.   It was slightly windy and 40 degrees so my numbers weren't great...I think 133 in 10" with the Undertaker High Density and less than a 100 for the Mossy choke.
My gun has 24" ported barrel and is polished.   I know there are probably better chokes out there...I just used the Undertaker High Density because it was quickly available.

By the way my Mossy Ulti-full way outperforms a regular Undertaker lead shot model with 3" # 4 Remington Nitro Turkey lead shot.  I have some other chokes to test including a Star Dot, Tru Glo and a Primos Tite wad...just haven't had time yet.  I've not really seen any good recommendations yet for what I'm shooting...the EM Mag Blends. 

Belo83

interested to know as well, although i think i'm going to pick up a pg anyhow.

goblr77

It doesn't make much sense to me shooting $4 shells through a $20 choke and cut the performance short.  Might as well bite the bullet and get a quality choke in the .670-.680 range. When that longbeard hangs up at 50+ you will be glad you did.

bowhunter84

Quote from: goblr77 on April 04, 2011, 08:12:00 PM
It doesn't make much sense to me shooting $4 shells through a $20 choke and cut the performance short.  Might as well bite the bullet and get a quality choke in the .670-.680 range. When that longbeard hangs up at 50+ you will be glad you did.
:agreed:

knightrider

go ahead and get a pure gold 670 you will be glad you did :z-guntootsmiley:

smitty1hunter

Why you guys trying to make me spend money!  ;D  I know I really would like to get the choke and may do it sooner than later.  I only hunt turkeys and seldom shoot them any way! I just like to sit in the woods and get bit by ticks and mosquitos really, the whooping the turkeys put on me is just a bonus!  :'(

bowhunter84

get a jellyhead. not that expensive and a good choke for the money.

Belo83

archery1

YOU CAN GET A SSX CHOKE ALSO.. THEY ARE CHEAP AND SHOOT PRETTY GOOD.. ABOUT 25 BUCKS.
Quote from: bowhunter84 on April 04, 2011, 10:13:16 PM
Quote from: goblr77 on April 04, 2011, 08:12:00 PM
:agreed:
Take a kid hunting

goblr77

Quote from: smitty1hunter on April 05, 2011, 09:21:25 AM
Why you guys trying to make me spend money!   

Because that gun is capable of being a long range turkey killing machine.