Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Bow Bird Down in Cali. It's an upgrade

Started by Hayudog, May 08, 2016, 12:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Went out and found a good gobbler. I'll post up the story after breakfast.

Twowithone

Fantastic that's a great Gobbler especially with the bow for sure. Great job. That will boost Guns & Hoses up. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Deputy 14

Dr Juice

Hayudog

The weather cooperated and I got out today.  This is a small piece of private land that the road is the most important part. Wet road, I won't go.  Owner was pretty pointed about not goofing up his road. It's an archery only property. And that works for me.  My scouting had only one tom on this place.  I'd seen a couple jakes, an seen this tom a number of times.  I didn't want to hunt him until I was sure he had bred all the hens.  I'd gone to the property after returning from Idaho a couple times, and only seen him. Hens must be on their nests.

So, this morning had him up the ridge.  Inside the blind was darker than usual this morning. Lots of cloud cover at day break.  I literally couldn't see my pins until almost an hour after shoot time.  The whole time this boys up and across from me hammering away.

When I decided that I could shoot, I ran some light pot call yelps.  When he finally answered I could tell he wasn't moving. So, I starting gobbling at him.  A couple hen calls, followed by gobbles.  Then when he'd respond, I'd cut him off with a gobble.  That lasted about twenty minutes, then he one gobbled once and I could tell he was on the move.  I went quiet.  Next thing I can hear him walking in the leaves next to the blind at 3'. 

He walked up to the jake decoy.  Gave him a couple flaps.  Strutted so I could draw. Shot him from the side, just above the wing intersection to the body.  He hopped at the shot.  Walked about 6' and tipped over.

He's got pretty colors for a rio.  I'll cape him, so his back feathers from the neck to the fan are attached. Makes a nice wall mount vs just a fan.

I'm going to put the tape on him and will post up a nice upgrade bird. 

WildSpur

Awesome bird!  Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Mountainburd

Congrats! Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrackeySauresRex

Yer on Fuego!  :happy0064: congrats. Keep your fingers crossed for me tommorow. I want the OG cup!  :blob10:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

Great job brother!!! :firefighter: :icon_thumright: Sounds like an awesome hunt, especially with a bow!! :you_rock:

Hayudog

Thanks guys. Going again tomorrow. Just to call though. Putting chits in the bank.

Hayudog

Took out a guy that still works at my department. Needless to say, targets were not the problem this morning. I left my bow home, told him it was on him.  The Indian ran out of arrows!!!! Closest he got was cut feathers at a strutting 11 yard bird.
At fly down, birds flew to the other side of the pasture.  4 gobblers, about 300 yards away. No hens with them. Had a hen about a 100 yards in the opposite direction. Eventually made her mad and she came all the way in. Yelping and cutting.  Lots of racket. Eventually those gobblers couldn't stand it.  One came all the way to the decoy, the other 3 stayed out a bit.  Like, twenty yards out.  Not 70.  Anyway, the one that came all the way only stayed for a couple quick half struts and turns then left without my shooter even drawing his bow.... Hmmmm.?
Told him sometimes they don't stick around very long.  When they are at the decoy, you need to shoot them.   :popcorn:
So, another tom and 6 hens are above us in an open pasture.  Gobbling didn't work with him.  And his hens were very quiet.  This became a waiting game. Took them over 40 minutes til he was strutting at the decoy.  4 misses. Ran out of arrows. :TrainWreck1:
First shot was at about 11 yards. Other shots out to twenty five. The sign read...."No turkeys were injured during this hunting display. "
The one that came with his hens was a good bird.  Spurs were over an inch, more likely 1 1/4". The four other long beards were most likely two year olds. 
I guess I don't get too frustrated when other people miss, not sure why.  I put the same effort out to take someone out as I do when hunting alone.  But it sure eats on me when I miss. 
I may try once more for a bird on Wednesday.  Maybe they are ready to be called off a neighbors property.

RutnNStrutn

I'd have had to bite my tongue!! :lol: ;D Either that, or smack him and grab the bow out of his hand!! ;D

Twowithone

Your buddy might have turkey fever just like buck fever. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.