OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: About to quit a sport I love but can't master....  (Read 7181 times)

Offline Sevenyearsandcounting

About to quit a sport I love but can't master....
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »
Age of 12 I started turkey hunting. I was so excited as my dad is a great hunger and bags his turkeys easily. Two a year for him since 1992. Seriously.

So we hunt my first year and nothing. Not even close. But my dad she's bags his two birds before work while I'm at school.

This trend continued all the way through college. 18 years later, 10 actual seasons hunted, and no Eastern turkey. I sure went to Texas and shot one from 100 yards with a rifle but to me that's NOT SPRING TURKEY! I have spent my adult life trying to be a better hunger and nothing works.

I call less, wear better camo, I have a ghillie now and still no luck. I use Avianx decoys. I call little, I call more, I run, sit and literally hunt til noon daily. Nothing.

I am so ready to be done. I cannot watch my friends and dad fill their tags every year while I just end up puzzled wondering wtf do I need to do? I see guys that can't even handle a box call killing a ton of turkeys.

This season I scouted safely never getting too close no calling and I had 10-15 birds roosted. Saw 100 more maybe. And guess what? My dad still couldn't coax a bird close enough. I don't fidget at all I stay perfectly still even he has zero idea what the deal is.

I don't know guys if you were in my shoes I'm sure one of you would quit. I've heard many guys say "persistence pays" well forget that nonsense because you will not meet someone more persistent.

My besrt says I'm giving up but my brain says "why are you even trying?" I love the woods and enjoy being out but I might as well be taking nature hikes. Too much money to waste and not get anything.

I think I've been out one too many opening days where multiple beginners nail a bird and I'm still bird less at 30 god damn years old. I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Think about this. 31 days a season. 10 seasons. 310 days without a damn shot even. I just can't stomach it anymore. I'm just not turkey hunter material. Ducks geese? Best I know and many will attest to this. Deer? Just fine I can harvest one whenever I need to. Grouse? A tougher bird to locate? I am the only person within an hour that gets a limit or two a season.

So  are turkeys just so much more intelligent? Or am I just the worst hunter? Worst luck? I'm grasping for any reason to continue hunting this year hopefully someone has some good advice!

Re: About to quit a sport I love but can't master....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
How? My dad kills birds in minutes and he does the same thing to help me with zero success. We barely use the decoy unless we are setting up during a rainy day on a field edge.

My dads been hunting birds since the first turkey season in New York, sometime in the 70's lol. But anyway he went through the lumps and he can sweet talk birds in range for himself all day long.

As soon as I'm in the woods that's it. Sure I see your point and if it was just myself in the field I'd call myself a bad turkey hunter all day I agree with that. But when you basically have someone that's hunted I guess over 30 years and can bag turkeys in his sleep? And he can't bring one into range?

The odds just seem so astronomical that in 7 springs and 3 fall seasons not once I get lucky? Only one miss has occurred and that was 2 days ago.

Imagine waiting for 10 season and you miss? It's about time I hang it up period.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
I think you need to quit buying camo, decoys, and other gear and tag along with your dad.

Leave everything at home except for your gun, ammo, simple camo, and one call that you feel confident on. Then pay attention to how your dad hunts.

You're throwing gear at a hunting problem.

Sorry I see you answered my question! Yes that's basically what I did as a kid. I was always in the woods with my dad as young as 6 watching and loving it. I saw him shoot his first 24lb bird and it was a magical day I was hooked.

I guess it's just so hard to understand why someone whose done all the research and put in the most important part, time and scouting, just can't seem to ever get it right.

Spring eastern Turkeys might as well be unicorns because I've shot just as many.

Offline Strick9

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:46 PM »
Its your frustration, the turkeys love it. Just be patient and enjoy the woods and your time will come buddy. Might also want to try not taking the Lords name in vain. He made them , he can certainly keep them away from ya.. Just food for thought.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Re: About to quit a sport I love but can't master

I feel your frustration.
I've not bagged many turkeys myself, compared to most everyone else on here.
Why do you feel you need to master something you love?
I love it, but far from mastering it.
Probably never will become as proficient as most on here.
I love the time of year.
I love to hear birds, including turkeys.
I love watching the morning wake-up.
I love practicing my calls.....wife doesn't, but I do.
I love swapping stories.
Etc., Etc. Etc.
I love getting a gobbler also. Wish spring lasted 11 months of the year.

My point being, if you love something, as you've stated, why would you quit.
Get frustrated......me too
Think others are "blessed", or more "gifted"......me too
Think others call better........me too
Think why am I doing this to myself......me too, then I remember the above reasons.
Do I plan on quitting.......nope!
Hope you don't either.
Enjoy what you get from it. It's not always the kill.
Some of my most memorable experiences have not resulted in a bird....but lots of memories.
Sure, a kill is nice, but don't let the lack of it, spoil the rest of it.
At least that's how I look at turkey hunting.
Others may think different, but I enjoy it the way I do it.

:fud: :OGani:

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
I don't know how I missed this thread.

You've definitely had a run of tough luck.  My first few years hunting turkeys were disasters.  I just couldn't seem to put things together.  I probably didn't make every mistake in the book, but I came close.  I hope you are paying attention to what's NOT working and learning from it.  I ended up going to turkey school and had them teach me how they act, what they say, and where they like to be.

Here's what helped me tremendously;  Find a place where there is a decent population of turkeys that are un-hunted/ low pressure area, like a state park.  Forget about bringing a gun, just bring your best hunting gear, then go try to call turkeys to you.  They'll tell you if you're doing something wrong by not coming around.  If you can call them to you when you're not hunting, there's no reason you can't call them up when you are hunting.  You'll get to hear normal turkey talk, cadence, and get the rhythm that you have to learn to imitate on your calls.  It doesn't seem like all that much, but once you get to know where and why they like to move through an area, it sort of becomes second nature and you'll have better ideas where to hunt when you encounter similar terrain.  If you take the shot out of the process, the pressure is off.  If you get busted, you'll know what not to do next time.   I've had turkeys step on one end of a stick right in front of me and had the other end hit my boot, they were so close. They never knew I was there.

Another thing I do is hunt on an empty stomach.  It makes me meaner when I'm hungry.  The predator in me wants some fresh meat.  I always have plenty to eat at camp, in the truck, and a few munchies in my vest, so I'm not about to starve.  The growl in my stomach is also in my spirit when I hunt.

If you're doing the same thing every year without any success, it's time to switch things up and change how you hunt, because something's not working. Successful turkey hunting isn't that hard and your father is proof.  Turkey hunting is supposed to be fun, challenging, and exhilarating.  If you're not getting that, you need to step back and examine what isn't working & why.  If the hair on your neck doesn't stand on end when you hear a bird gobble close by, you might ought to look into taking up golf instead.

I hope this helps and the passion for the hunt comes back to you.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:52:53 AM »
"The odds just seem so astronomical that in 7 springs and 3 fall seasons not once I get lucky? Only one miss has occurred and that was 2 days ago.

Imagine waiting for 10 season and you miss? It's about time I hang it up period."

Misses happen: you're never guaranteed success. The fun in turkey hunting is that everything has to come together just right. I bet you had the biggest case of turkey fever ever after finally getting a shot after 7 seasons. LOL. Others have posted about the Zen of turkey hunting on this post. Personally, I like the aggravation and frustration of hunting turkeys as much as just being outdoors. I like the sound of a call and frequently call turkeys without trying to shoot them. As suggested in other posts try to change your tactics. I would suggest hiring an outfitter a time or two: you will learn turkeys and probably kill a couple.

But threatening to quit? I only quit something after I have mastered it! After 30 years of turkey hunting I have still not mastered it. The fun is striving to succeed not the end result. Hopefully you have another 7 years of striving ahead of you!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline 2dogs1name

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
My advice, hunt ducks...chances are better and you will bring home much more meat.

Offline Premier Turkey Calls

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:33 PM »
My advice-
Fall turkey hunting is hard spring is easy. If you do not have hundreds of acres to travel in the fall it is tough because the birds are grouped up and less willing to work calling.
Try hunting mid to late spring season. The hens are nested and if you fire one up he is likely to be knocking on your door within minutes.
I have found the less gear that I carry, the more successful that I am because I am less concerned about utilizing my gear and more focused on the goal.
Don't be afraid to get loud when there are no birds near. The yelp is your #1 weapon.
The best setup is where the turkey can only see you the very second that he comes into range. No decoys necessary as long as your ready for the shot.
The best tip that I can give you is that you have to remember that you are going against everything that nature has ever told the turkey. The hen is supposed to come to him. Think about this when you're decided what you're going to tell this turkey.
The first turkey is hardest. Trust me. I missed my first 8 shots. I am a self taught hunter now I average 2 turkeys a season. That feeling of that first bird is beyond words. Honestly though, if I were to never shoot a turkey again, I would not be upset. Shooting turkeys is fun but just having the opportunity to chase them and to enjoy the beauty of nature and admire everything that God has created is what I truly enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:59:34 PM by Premier Turkey Calls »

Offline RemingtonRules

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
 Holy resurrected threads, the original post is from 2016. 

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
He got his bird. 

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=12232
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.