Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

PA gates are open!

Started by FullChoke, May 02, 2016, 11:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

The season opened last Saturday in Pennsylvania for our brothers from northern mothers and runs through May 31st. Let's join our turkey mojos together and send them thoughts of great stealth, flawless calling, stellar decision making and raucous gobbling birds. The 2016 seasons have officially ended in MS and AL, but opportunities are still available for the traveling hunter.   

As I posted before, We need one, or more. birds from everyone who hasn't scored one yet, but is still hunting. May is our final month for taking and scoring birds. Since we are presently well positioned in the team race, we will be subjected to extra scrutiny for our scoring techniques. This contest can be won or lost by the narrowest of margins, so let's make sure that we are perfectly accurate in how we measure and score our birds.

This contest is supposed to be fun. It ain't fun to lose due to an avoidable error.

Get 'em boys. Be safe, have fun, kill ridiculously big gobblers

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

Quote from: xarcher on May 02, 2016, 12:51:08 PM
No pressure. ????????
No more pressure than a high school cheerleader exerts on the varsity squad.  :you_rock:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

xarcher

Was out for a bit this morning hunting a wooded hillside that is being logged on the adjacent property.  When I heard them gobbling from where I stood at the truck, I ended up moving to a spot between the property being logged and where the roost was.  Ended up foolin with 3 gobblers and a bunch of hens and they got within 50 or 60 yards at one point.  Then the chainsaws fired up around 7 AM behind me and they eased away in the opposite direction.  DUH!!!  Anybody got any ideas on where I should set up tomorrow ??? ??? ??? 

FullChoke

Assuming that the chainsaws will crank up the same general time tomorrow, head to where they went once the noise started today. Get about 100-150 yards away.  I would wait until they were on the ground, then go ahead and send them some love chirps. Might be a fairly good set up right where they will be heading.

You can only hunt until noon right now, right?

FC

xarcher

Norm,
I was being sarcastic with that question about where to set up tomorrow.  This morning was the first morning I was in this area so I was kinds caught off guard with all that racket.  Rest assured I will be on the other side tomorrow.  It just means I get there about 1/2 hour earlier cause the only way to the other side is to walk almost right past them.  Got a quiet dirt road/trail so it should not be a problem. 

And yes, we can only hunt until noon for the first 2 weeks of the season.  Then starting Monday May 16th we can rough em up all day. 

Still got Ohio and WV tags in my wallet too

xarcher

I have been into birds every morning this week.  Had shot opportunities 3 days.  One day my buddy shot since he hadn't filled a tag yet and the other 2 days were jakes.  By the way the one my buddy shot scored 56 so it would not have been an upgrade if I shot.  Back at it tomorrow morning. 

xarcher

4 jakes at point blank range for 20 minutes this morning. They were doing what they do best. Acting like fools and trying to out gobble each other.

xarcher

My wife and a buddy doubled up yesterday on a couple of 2 year olds. I just sat back and enjoyed the show. So that's 4 birds I saw hit the ground this week. 3 weeks to go so i got plenty of time to find that upgrade.

FullChoke

Awesome. There is a hippogobbler somewhere there in your immediate future.

:you_rock: