Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Georgia Season Report... NO Joy so far!

Started by old frank, April 28, 2016, 10:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old frank

Gosh it has been tough so far this year.

I have not heard a single gobble or seen a turkey except the giant gobbler who had the nerve to run across the road in front of me the day I went to my Granddaughters school to have lunch with her.

I have sat for hours and tried calling and not calling. I have walked and sat and called and watched with no action at all.
This is the first year Georgia has used a Call in Harvest system, before that it was just a telephone survey after the season closed. With 3 1/2 weeks left in the season 8,400 birds had been killed. Last year harvest was 26,000 and the year before 33,000. So it is going to have to get a lot better quick or this may be a record bad year.
I am not giving up and will be out there for two more weeks trying my best to add to our score board.

harleytom

old frank

I have plugged and plugged but the turkeys, if there are any, won this year.

Yesterday was my last day to hunt before the season ends this weekend. I was sitting back in the swamp well before daylight praying to hear a gobble. It didn't happen.
There was a good bit of scratching around the area so I sat and called softly and then louder for four hours and then moved up to a food plot with some wheat in it hoping a lonesome tom would use the field to look for hens. Never saw anything.

I am thrilled the rest of the 20ga team has done so well. It just wasn't in the cards for me this year.

FullChoke

Brother, we all hit dry spells every once in a while. As long as you tried to play the game, it's a shame that the other  team didn't show up. I would say that you won by forfeiture. No joy, but it still counts.

:icon_thumright:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Redfish

I know the feeling. I hunted hard in NE Florida and burned a lot of vacation days and only heard 3 gobbles. I got lucky and saw a gobbler about three hundred yards down a road on the last morning. I ran back to the truck and got a decoy, crawled through a ditch and stuck her in the road. Got back in the woods and just clucked once. He would strut a little and lose interest so I would just cluck once and he would strut a little and come a little closer. Took me over an hour to get him in range. He never gobbled either. Everyone I know had a hard year down here.
John 3:16