OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 guage info

Started by possum#1, April 24, 2016, 08:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possum#1

I have been reading about the 20 guage guns on here and want to build one now. I have a Mossberg 505 that my son has outgrown. I had a full length synthetic stock that fit it. It has a 20" barrel and a Undertaker ported .582 choke in it. Any of you guys that have built a Mossberg do you think this gun will work ok? I am worried about the ported choke with the flight control wads in the Federal heavyweight #7 . What are your thoughts on this and any input would be great to. Also what chokes and restrictions would you recommend? This forum is going to cost me. :toothy9:

Thanks

R AJ

With the short barrel I would consider a tighter choke  550-575. If you want a one choke deal the 562-5 Sumtoy using Fed HW #7 is my choice. Another is the SSX choke  that shoots the Federal HW #7s in 20 gauge with no problem. . Heck , there are many chokes out there but the one shell I like is the Fed 2 3/4 #7 or 3" #7 HW.
It makes most chokes turkey hunting machines at reasonable ranges.

possum#1

MattinIdaho

Quote from: possum#1 on April 24, 2016, 08:22:13 PM
I have been reading about the 20 guage guns on here and want to build one now. I have a Mossberg 505 that my son has outgrown. I had a full length synthetic stock that fit it. It has a 20" barrel and a Undertaker ported .582 choke in it. Any of you guys that have built a Mossberg do you think this gun will work ok? I am worried about the ported choke with the flight control wads in the Federal heavyweight #7 . What are your thoughts on this and any input would be great to. Also what chokes and restrictions would you recommend? This forum is going to cost me. :toothy9:

Thanks

I'd try the Sumtoy. I have an Indian Creek .555 and a Pure Gold .555 and .570 that none of them particularly care for that Fed HW #7 load. They are all 40 yard chokes max. Which is fine. But there are loads those chokes much much better. My son has a Charles Daly auto 20 youth that we have a HS Strut Undertaker choke in. It shoots a much more even pattern with that load than the chokes I run in my guns.   

possum#1

Ordered a Sumtoy choke today and some heavyweight #7. I will keep you informed on how it works.