OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Late season surge  (Read 4436 times)

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Late season surge
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »
Slipped into a field that had a bird gobbling hard this past Sunday morning
 As daylight came I counted 3 gobblers sounding off, 2 to my right and behind and one to my left front (same place as Sunday). As I called softly I noticed the one in front closed to about 100 yards but would only gobble occasionally. I figured he was a subordinate bird but hey with only 3 days left he's fair game right? Around 730 all gobbling ceased so I went into soft call every 15 minute and wait them out mode. I had a conference call for work that I needed to at least listen into at 830. As my call started I saw his red head pop up on edge of field. I hung up my phone, picked up my gun and put him down. After making sure he was down for good, I got back on my call with no one the wiser to what had just transpired. Another great morning in God's creation. I'm gonna have DT's when season ends this weekend. Bird was 15.25 lbs, beard 10 & 3/4 inches, rt spur 3/4 inch, left spur 7/8 inch. NWTF score 53.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:44:46 PM by harleytom »

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: Late season surge
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:56:37 AM »
Man, talk about multi-tasking! Congratulations! That gobbler has a terrific beard on him for a subordinate bird. The dominant gobbler in that area must be a rhinoceros! Do you have a rough idea of the score for him?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »
 Full, birds in this area seem to have good beards. His spurs reflect 2 year old. Will get full stats out this afternoon. Brought a buddy with me and we're trying to get him on a bird.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
Congrats on the bird and awesome story.  I must plead guilty to something similar to that a few years ago.  I was deer hunting and had to listen in on a conference call about 9:30.  Well a little before that, I shoot a deer and so when it came time for the call, I put my cell phone on speaker and muted it and proceeded to listen to the call while field dressing the deer.  Once or twice I had to chime in so I would just un-mute the phone, speak, then mute it again.  A little blood on a phone never hurt. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »
I'm gonna have DT's when season ends this weekend.

I know where this a re-hab clinic that is open the entire month of May.   :you_rock:

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
Don't tempt me! I hunted Nebraska with my son last May. He took his first bird ever and I got greedy and passed on one first day because it's beard was short. Never saw another gobbler the rest of the trip and now find myself a Merriam short of Grand Slam. Lesson learned. I've gotten get back out there, hopefully next season.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »
consider yourself tempted

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:50:13 PM »
Get thee behind me satan!  :icon_thumright:

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »
Get thee behind me satan!  :icon_thumright:
LOL  :TooFunny:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
I will spare you counting heads.  55. 

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
I don't know if I see 55 over an entire season. Bet you are dying having to see that before season starts.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
When I hear people say they are covered up with turkeys I just laugh.  Have been to AL, SC, WV and OH while waiting though.

Offline Hooter

• Central TN
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:21 AM »
Dang Harley, you smoked em this year, Bigtime. Wish you could get the rest of those MS boys on one.  ???

Archer, I'm pretty sure I would go bonkers, if I saw that many at one time. Dang sure I wouldn't know what to do!!!   :toothy12:

Offline Cleveland48

Late season surge
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 09:51:38 AM »
That's bird has a great beard. Looks like it's the same thickness all the way down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
 It was a true paintbrush especially for a 2 year old. Thanks guys, I have had a very good year, would be limited out if I hadn't lost that wounded bird a fee weeks ago (but I'm not still haunted by that right?). One last try Friday morning before work then I'll sit back and cheer the rest of you on.