OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: shout out for lbxr #6s a true test to their ability  (Read 14517 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
shout out for lbxr #6s a true test to their ability
« on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:53 AM »
I started shooting long beards in 2015. ive been nothing but impressed with this load for the money ever since I fired them. ive heard a few complaints along the way and ive had a few myself...but what was I really complaining about they cost 20 bucks. there is no shell for 20 bucks that out shoots them there just isn't. its a fact!!! I limited out in Mississippi this year, killed my first 2 birds at normal ranges 30 yards and 35 yards. very reasonable considering my gun is well tuned from the get go and throws a killer pattern. the last bird I killed I thought was 35-40 yards. I don't intentionally shoot past 40, at least not in the woods and without a good rest. well this bird was skirting me ...like I said I thought it was 35-40 yards. I had no rest, but the dot was on his head and I pulled the trigger. he dropped like a sack of potatoes. well after the shot I ran over to him and soon realized ...this aint 40 yards. I went back to the tree and noticed I had shot the limb in front of me, and the wadding had exploded. I walked it off and he was 49 yards....not only 49 yards but how much of the load did I lose by shooting a 1/2" limb 3 ft in front of my barrel. he still had plenty of pellets in the head and neck. matter of fact his brains were hanging out his ear hole on one side. now with all this said....I am in no way advocating trying to shoot birds at 50 yards or trying to shoot through brush because had I noticed the limb I would not have pulled the trigger but im shooting a burris ff3 and never noticed the limb. all in all of course some luck was involved, but at the same time I was dead on the money. this is an excellent load hands down. thank you Winchester...why would I shoot anything else.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
shout out for lbxr #6s a true test to their ability
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:02:22 AM »
Awesome story. Thx for sharing.

Offline Gtown78

Re: shout out for lbxr #6s a true test to their ability
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:40:20 AM »
If they would only make them in 20 gauge. They could just about corner the turkey ammo market.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 08:19:57 PM »
hopefully they'll come out with a killer 20 guage load eventually. id like to see that because ive been wanting a 20 guage as backup for a while.

Offline BDeal

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
They are impressive!! I have read where guys have said #6 wouldn't have enough energy to kill at 45. I guess they are wrong. 49 yards with #6 wow!! What are the specs on the shell-length and ounces of shot?

Congratulations!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:06:41 PM »
3" shell 13/4oz. Remington 870 21" barrel. it puts about 230s in 10" at 40 with the 1 7/8oz load slightly higher. but I killed the turkey with 13/4oz because that's what I shot this year

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »
I'm happy for you, but this makes me sad! I let one walk last week cause he was past 40yds, about 45yds. I was hoping he would come closer, but no dice, and I didn't want my first bird to be a miss. I have not shot the Lb 6's past 40yds.  But again, great job!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »
I'm happy for you, but this makes me sad! I let one walk last week cause he was past 40yds, about 45yds. I was hoping he would come closer, but no dice, and I didn't want my first bird to be a miss. I have not shot the Lb 6's past 40yds.  But again, great job!

read my original post....i am in no way advocating trying to shoot birds past ethical distances. i honestly thought the bird was 35-40 yards. my red dot was no larger than his head...i figured it was 40 at the furthest. ive let many birds walk because i knew they were on out there.....i made a good shot shot, but because of the red dot being about 1" above the barrel bead i didn't notice the limb in front of me. i know the gun and load is capable of dropping a bird at 50 yards there is no doubt in my mind ....but i just don't intentionally take those shot. if i cant call him closer or slip up on him closer...we will both live to fight another day

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
That's my feelings exactly, about four years I let one walk and he came Close to me, but he wasn't strutting, so I was not sure if he was a jake, but now I know the difference.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:05:48 AM »
man don't let that confuse you. jakes do strut!!!! a jake who has been whooped all season may not strut but in my experiences they do strut. I called some birds up for a buddy of mine once. it was a gobbler and 2 jakes. all 3 were strutting. guess which one he shot..... a jake. he didn't know the diff. they never gobbled though only the gobbler gobbled.

Offline catclr

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »
They do a job on coyotes also. Can read about it under gobbling activity for Pa.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
Amazing what those things can do

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »
yes they are an excellent coyote load. ive only called 2 coyotes directly into my set twice in my life ....once when I was a kid. I called one up this year and shot him at 40 yards. killed him dead as a hammer. some even passed through him. its an impressive load

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Them longbeards do some amazing things for a lead load. Never thought I'd see patterns that good, but you if that's impressive you should see what the heavyweight 7's do in my 20ga

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
Them longbeards do some amazing things for a lead load. Never thought I'd see patterns that good, but you if that's impressive you should see what the heavyweight 7's do in my 20ga

if they made longbeard 7s im sure they would be that good