Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Multiple Beards

Started by Hooter, April 24, 2016, 12:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooter

Norm, I'm not so sure about double beards?  I think I read somewhere that only the longest is to be scored. I could be wrong, but we need to be sure.  If so, we need to take 8 points away from him.

FullChoke

For the record, the method of scoring turkeys for the OG Turkey Hunting Contest is patterned after the NWTF standard method for scoring turkeys having been used for many years. The Old Gobblermatic Calculator uses the same math. 

The NWTF instructions for specifically scoring beards state "Measure the beard length (a beard must be measured from the center point of the protrusion of the skin to the tip) and convert it to decimal form.

Next, multiply the beard length figure by 2; this is the number of points you receive for the beard length. If you have an atypical bird (multiple beards), measure each beard, convert them to a decimal number, then add those figures together and multiply by two. (My emphasis) This is the number of points you receive for your turkey's beards."

Hooter, your original score for this bird is correct.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

xarcher

I think hooter is right. The rules were changed this year.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

FullChoke

All,

I stand corrected.  This year, OG has changed the rule concerning scoring multiple-bearded turkeys for team score purposes.

"Only the longest beard of a multi-bearded gobbler will be scored for the Team contest. This is a subject of controversy, There may be a separate Individual non typical (not team ) contest. Gobblers may be scored in both, but in the team contest only the longest beard or spur on each leg."

Hooter, I will amend your score to reflect this change.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.