OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Barrel Wont Clean!

Started by SpringFever, April 03, 2011, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringFever

Ive lost track of how many hundreds of times I put my drill/rod and brush with a cloth through my barrel and it continues to come out black! I bought my 535 last year brand new and had probably less than 10 shots through it. Thought Id better giver a good cleaning this spring before I take it out.

The barrel when I look down it looks amazing! very bright and looks absolutely great, but why wont the rags come clean? Is it good enough?

SpringFever

Now that I think about it, I shot it 5 times. Shouldnt be that hard to clean. Maybe Im doing it wrong. I bout a kit from gander and been cleaning my barrel exactly per the instructions included.

tactikel

Be sure to use a good powder solvent (Hoppes #9and Butch's bore shine are 2 good ones). I dip a bronze brush in solvent and work the bore, let it sit for a few minutes (or overnight) follow with a few patches soaked in solvent, then dry ones until clean. End up with patches soaked in rust preventative (CLP, Kroil, or rem oil are good ones). Repeat above if needed. Good luck! BTW my Mossberg had some sort of brown rust inhibitor in the bore when got it, shooting it baked it in. It took lots of elbow grease and Butch's to cut thru it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SpringFever on April 03, 2011, 05:16:41 PM
Ive lost track of how many hundreds of times I put my drill/rod and brush with a cloth through my barrel and it continues to come out black! I bought my 535 last year brand new and had probably less than 10 shots through it. Thought Id better giver a good cleaning this spring before I take it out.

The barrel when I look down it looks amazing! very bright and looks absolutely great, but why wont the rags come clean? Is it good enough?

Here's the procedure I recommend: http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 That should take care of any "gunk" that's in your barrel.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SpringFever

Clark-
I received my ssx choke in the mail the other day everything looks great! If the weather in Northern Mn was at all cooperative I woulda been out already shooting it...but it just snowed another 2-3" last night.. ugh...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SpringFever on April 03, 2011, 07:52:21 PM
Clark-
I received my ssx choke in the mail the other day everything looks great! If the weather in Northern Mn was at all cooperative I woulda been out already shooting it...but it just snowed another 2-3" last night.. ugh...

Ouch! I hope it clears up for you soon.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."