OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dream Gun

Started by golfernash, April 21, 2016, 10:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Already own em:
Browning Silver NWTF edition
Remington 870 Super Mag
Benelli M2 20 ga

lunghit

I have two guns that I consider my dream turkey guns. My SBE 2 with steady grip and my Winchester SX3 with Aimpoint red dot scope. I am not liking the steady grip of the Benelli as much as I thought I would so the SX3 will be my top pick. Plus the red dot is really nice to have.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Matt / PA

Quote from: Old Gobbler on June 11, 2016, 11:07:38 PM
Quote from: Matt / PA on April 21, 2016, 10:45:28 PM
It's going to be a little different than most I imagine, but I actually just got my dream gun this year....
20ga English styled flintlock fowler built using a 38" Colerain turkey barrel

30yd patterns like this everytime with nickle plated #5s

20yds is nasty! :OGturkeyhead:

love that gun , could you tell me more about it , I especially like the turkey ingraving on the side

Sure can, and sorry for the delayed response, I had forgotten about this post! 

This is a custom gun built from a curly maple blank by Ken Moors of NC.  It is an English style fowler and uses a Colerain 38" 20ga octagon to round turkey barrel.......its machined with a built in tapered choke in the last few inches. It is a .62 bore that tapers to about .575 which is equivalent to many modern 20ga turkey choke constrictions. And it will shoot right with them as you can see!
The lock is a Chambers Early Ketland model and I drilled the internally cut and coned vent out to 5/64" for the most reliable ignition possible.
It goes off like a caplock and is a breeze to carry all day long. It actually points and handles very much like a modern shotgun. Finished weight is about 7lbs even.
Ken is an outstanding craftsman, and it still boggle my mind that someone can take a hunk of wood and some basic compnents and turn them into something so beautiful and functional at the same time. His engraving is top notch and I gave him free hand to do what he wanted with it.....since he knew it was a dedicated turkey gun he added that little touch of a period style turkey image to the lock.
Here are a few more looks at some of the other components and engraving.........some of the pics are a little shiny as these were taken by the builder before the final "aged" finish.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Quote from: Hooks' n' Beards' on April 22, 2016, 06:43:31 AM
Browning Bps 12 ga  "NWTF" 3.5" 24"   I already own it.
Just recently purchased the  Tc Encore Pro Hunter Turkey 12 Ga 24" and now have the 2 guns i have always wanted. 

MK M GOBL

If it was made a Benelli 20ga M1 Super 90 Camo w/Steady Grip scoped with Nikon Turkey Scope.

But this gun has been a dream for me! Would be hard to change...

MK M GOBL

Swampchickin234

I think an old school Belgian made browning a5 20 gauge dipped in green leaf or original bottomland, with a 24 " bbl and Williams fire sights.   Have her with screw in chokes and she would roll mid 130's -150 all day long but would be forgiving at 15.   That in my opinion would be sweet. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strutzone