OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: SS Custom scratch box success / almost  (Read 2715 times)

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
SS Custom scratch box success / almost
« on: April 21, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »
My son and I were hunting together on Iowas opener. Things were very slow that morning. Some gobbling way to the south. We were using the calls that have been good to us in the past. I finally got smart and tried my new scratch box Al & son made for me. Darned if it didn't produce a gobble a ways away. After a little sweet talk , that stinker was coming. We could see him through the timber 50 yards away. Along comes a hen, from the other side of us, just clucking along. Hoping a gobbler was following, we just watched her, realizing too late, she was going to our tom. He followed her and we never heard another peep from either of them. Silly us.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
Re: SS Custom scratch box success / almost
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »
Sounds like turkey hunting to me!  I call those successful hunts.  Scratchers have a tone that gets their interest.  You got a good one!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:10:31 AM »
Nice story!!

Online SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:52:31 AM »
 Hang in there Jim. Sounds like you had the deal sealed if the hen hadn't showed up.. Sounds really familiar!  :character0029:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »
We just watched her, realizing too late, she was going to our tom. He followed her and we never heard another peep from either of them. Silly us.

What would you have done if you realized earlier???  Got a bit more aggressive on the calling???
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.