Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Little Nellie is batting a thousand so far

Started by Hooter, April 20, 2016, 11:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooter

So far, so good with the little 20 this year. Have not even carried one of my other guns yet, and probably won't.
I usually have missed one by now. I seem to have trouble with close shots. Dang tight patterns.
Bird 1 was at 25yds, bird 2 was 30yds, and this morn was 15, up close and personal.
The bird this morn kind of has a warm spot for me. He was a legend. Everyone called him "The El Diablo Bird". He has been hunted by countless hunters, for more years than I can remember.
He always gobbled his head off, just to turn around and go the other way and discourage everyone.
I stopped going after him a few years ago, cause it was just always a big waste of educating him more.
Heard him gobbling early this morn pretty close to me, but I went the other way to where I had been hearing some others.
Came back to the truck 2 and half hours later, and there he was, strutting in a powerline, close to where he started his morning game.
I decided, what the heck. Drove around and got on the other side of him. Snuck in as close as I could without being seen. Still there, strutting all alone. He gobbled back at most of my yelps, but was walking away. Tried gobbling at him, no response at all. Finally got inside of a hundred from him, and pulled out an old trick I have not used in quite a while. He gobbled nonstop and uncontrollably about 6 times, and went back into strut facing away from me. He then started walking away. All of a sudden, he turns around, slicks back down, and heads to me full force without missing a step.
Stops in front of me at 15yds, and I didn't waste a split second.
To make it more special, today was my father's birthday. I know he was with me smiling, knowing that this bird has tested the patience of probably hundreds of men over many, many years, to finally get tricked by a skinny little redneck. :newmascot:

harleytom

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

gophert

Congrats my friend!

Sent from my typewriter

FullChoke

He was in trouble the moment you set your mind to him. Congratulations on another great bird.

Do share with us the secret move to get this old boy to commit like he did.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hayudog

Good story.....what was you move that made him finally commit????   :drool:  I'm ready for the punch line!!!