OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The best hunting buddy in the world  (Read 3948 times)

Offline yellowacorns

The best hunting buddy in the world
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:29:17 PM »
My 2010 Turkey season was one of great hunts and very memorable experiences.

Well it all started when my hunting buddy “Crutch as you probably know him” asked me if I wanted to go hunt a new place.  We jumped in his newly purchased truck, very nice one I might add.  We drove down a lane to an old tobacco barn where he had seen a big-un strutting earlier in the week.  I am thinking “This is looking good we just might have a good hunt”.  We exit the truck.  Oh, I should mention that Crutch and I had been talking about the gun I was using, a 20 gauge, and the need for me to step it up to a 12.  Several years back I had acquired my Grandfather’s gun collection when he passed away.  In the safe was an old Winchester model 1897 hammered pump gun that I had not used in 35 years.  I guess this is where most people would just stop the post, but in the interest of humor and the general public, I will digress.

Okay, we exit the truck and I lean back in the cab, my shotgun barrel firmly against the nice shiny floor mat” and stick two shells in the gun.  One of the shells gets all cockeyed and I begin to fiddle with it.   I ratchet the pump down and fiddle some more, then I ratchet it back up.  Low and behold I hear the quietest thud, not a boom, just a thud...no ringing ears.  I feel this nauseating, sick wave come over me as all of my 46 years of hunting prowess melts into my camo boots!  Crutch looks back in the cab and asks “What just happened?”   I peak my head out of my boot and reply “I think I just blew a hole in your new truck!!!”  All the man said was “look and see if anything is leaking!” I crawl under the truck, take a look and reply “Looks like a clean shot” (LOL).  He replied “Good, let’s go hunting!”   What an awesome friend!!!  (While fiddling with the gun, I inadvertently hit the trigger, and released the hammer.  When ratcheting the pump back up, without my finger on the trigger, boomshockalocka was inevitable.

Yes, the hole is still in the floorboard, my pride is slowly healing, and my buddy I are whole. What a blessing from God!  I am forever grateful to my Grandfather for the gun safety lessons he taught me as a kid.  Yes, I can imagine what you are thinking “WHAT LESSONS??!!”  Okay, at least the gun was pointed toward the ground; unfortunately the truck was in between!

Even old timers make mistakes, but gun safety can prevent a mistake from being deadly.  I have since changed the old hymn title “What a friend we have in Jesus” to “What a friend I have in Jesus and Ole Crutch”.  What an awesome friend he is! I begged him to be mad at me!!!

Our 2010 turkey season was full of memorable times, great hunts and great Toms.  We went on to bag our first mule deer together, too.  With Crutch’s help I bagged mine an hour before we broke camp.  I hope this post “as embarrassing as it is” will help someone not to make the same mistake I made.  Besides, you may not have as forgiving of a friend.  Always know your gun BEFORE heading to the field!!!  Thanks for reading the post and have a safe and memory filled 2011 season.

p.s.  Remind me to tell you in a future post about how Crutch (a few weeks after my faux pas and many laughs from him) backed over his muzzle loader with the same now “holy” truck…  (Possible moral to the story…leave this truck home for the 2011 season.)

Offline Jay

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Iowa Hawkeye
Re: The best hunting buddy in the world
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
 :o You blew a hole in the floor of your buddys truck? Dang! Wow, and you didn't have to walk home. :TooFunny: Part of gun training is you keep the gun down, but not loaded in the Truck or House ;D

Offline Crutch

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
I love ya man.  You are the brother I never had.  :you_rock:

:fud:

Can't wait to hit them again this year. 

btw, you waxed eloquent until you got to that last part.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Offline Jay

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Iowa Hawkeye
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:33 PM »

Good job on being cool about it :icon_thumright:

Offline BOFF

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
True friends are few and far between. Reads like you both have it.

God Bless,
David B.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:47:25 AM »

You a better man than me  :TooFunny:  All kidding aside, that shows what type of person you are and someone I could share a turkey camp with  :icon_thumright:

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 08:23:32 AM »
Crutch I'd go hunting with you anytime and I promise not to blow a hole in your truck!
LOL Great story!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 09:15:26 AM »
Great story!   :D    ...BUT note to self,...never go hunting with yellowacorns!  ...or get near him when he has a gun!...   ;D
...I would assume that ol' Crutch should have had enough sense to write the same note,...but apparently not...   :toothy12:

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 09:25:58 AM »
Now this is funny....  :TooFunny:  God Bless you both especially Crutch.... :fud:

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »
 Two kinds of people associated with an accidental discharge. Those that have had one and those that are about to.

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 02:58:10 PM »
Accidental Discharge.... I have had one or two of those in my years. Oh wait, I was thinking of something else. Sorry!

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 05:20:51 PM »
Still a good read even if the tread is 11 years old. From what I can see Yellowacorns hasn't been on here since 2013. Crutch was last seen in 2020.

Conch

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 02:14:39 PM »
...... is a good rough Curdog. ;)

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 07:04:19 PM »
 Very honest, truthful story. Very funny, thank you for sharing.

Turkeybutt, "Thank You" for bringing this back from the dead to read today! I may or may not have had this to happen in some form to me "twice". One day I will share in separate post. Thankfully, my finger was never on the triggers.