OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch barrel choke suggestions  (Read 3609 times)

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch barrel choke suggestions
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
Ok, here is what I have:

Mossberg 500
12 gauge 3"
18.5 inch barrel
Now using an HS Strut Undertaker
Shooting Federal 3" #6 Flite Control wads (best I've used out of testing many different loads). I've probably tried at least 10-12 different loads and shot sizes.

This is a great 25-30 yard gun. 35 yards.....gets a little iffy, but if my estimation of 30 is off a bit, will get the job done. 40 yards.....wouldn't do it. Just not comfortable. Minimal pellets are there, but very spotty.
This set-up also does an OK job at 10 yards. Pretty tight though (softball sized), so wouldn't be too hard to miss. 25 -30 yards are the magic numbers for this set-up.

Since I've already tried numerous shells, I would like to look for a choke tube that may tighten up my 35 and 40 yard pattern.

Any suggestions? Willing to buy used in our classifieds, if available. I really don't want to try more than 1 or 2, due to the price. Looking around $75.00, maybe more if it would give good results.

If not, I'm happy with what I got. Just get him in another 10-15 yards, but you know how that goes.

Your advice please.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mossberg 500 with 18.5 inch barrel choke suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »
I shoot a 28" barrel on my 500, so take my suggestion for what its worth. I would try longbeard #5 and #6 with the choke you have. Im getting impressive 40 yard patterns with the undertaker .665 and longbeard #5's. I tried a sumtoy and stardot but the undertaker shot the best pattern by far. Of coarse every gun is different. If you would like to try the sumtoy I would sell it for $50 TYD. It has maybe 20 shots through it.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:08:22 PM »
Thanks coyote1,
I appreciate the offer on the sumtoy.
Maybe at a later date. Right now the season starts in a week and I think I'm going with what I have.
Not too much time left to experiment, plus I bought some news calls and you know how that goes.
I'll just keep an open mind for later on.
I thought of the long beards, but was worried about close shots.
Where I hunt a 10 yard shot is as possible as a 40 yard shot.
Last year's bird was very close and I almost missed him. Caught the edge of the pattern as his head moved just as I shot.

Thanks again.

Offline Izzyjoe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:42:10 PM »
I'd say a Carlson Longbeard .660 choke, and some Lb 5's.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:01:05 PM »
I hear you, bought way too many calls this year myself. The longbeard pattern is really tight up close, baseball size at 20.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
Thanks izzyjoe,
I'll add it to my list of ones to check.