Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

MI opener success

Started by kdsberman, April 18, 2016, 07:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

I scored early today fellas at 8:48 AM in Michigans opener. What an awesome day to turkey hunt.  Cool, quiet morning hearing gobbles from all directions.

Got back this morning about 6:50.  Thought I was gonna be late but I wasn't.  They don't roost on our property anyway, so I won't be spooking them.  After about 15 minutes I spotted a strutter way out, probably 300 yards.  Wasn't long before I was able to get the hens he was with over to my calling.  He soon followed.  As he was coming in I heard some gobbling off to my right.  Wasn't long before his head went up, turned around, and booked it outta there.  Thinking he didn't want to get his butt whooped.

Finally, 2 new toms appeared from the right where I heard the gobbling coming from.  They came to my direction at a pretty good pace and OF COURSE stopped where a tree and branches were in the way of the shot.  Needed them to walk about 10 yards and they'd of been in front.  They stood there strutting about 35 yards away until (I was hunting a field edge) they gave up waiting and decided to come in the woods to look for "the hen".  Sure as heck they walked about 5 yards to my right.  I've never had that happen before.  And I couldn't turn for a shot because of a tree blocking my ability to swing the gun over.  They walked in back of me about 15 yards but I wasn't sure if they were gonna be behind any brush or not, so I decided to gamble and NOT turn around for a shot.  It paid off as I made a couple soft yelps and back out they came.  5 yards away again.   They walked back out in the field to the SAME spot and the only time they would ever come in front of me is when they angled to a distance I wasn't 100% confident shooting at.  Back and forth from out of range to within range but behind brush. 

After about half hour I was pretty confident they were not gonna walk where I needed to because of where a hen was at.  I decided to hold off the calling and let them give up so I could devise a new plan.  They ended up walking off.  So I moved back into the woods about 30 yards so if I could get them back they would have to look around this time.  I was able to get those two and some jakes to respond, but nothing more than that. 

After a few minutes I was able to get a tom to respond off behind me to my left and after cutting a few times and getting him to respond, I was sure he was on his way.  Wasn't 5 min and I spotted him wading through a deep puddle coming my way.  He walked in, gobbled, and the rest is history.

Not a monster but a nice one no doubt.
Have to get an official measure on beard and spurs but a quick measurement is 21.2#, 9" beard, 3/4" spurs.

Big problem though guys, I never took a scale picture before cutting him up.  The contest I'm used to doesn't require it and I forgot this one does, so huge apology.  I'll try and get pics up as soon as I can .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter1979

Congrats!  Great day for Michigan hunters, bad day for the birds!

WNCTracker

Way to go!  Bummer on the scale. Rules say you have to use 14 lbs as your weight when you score it.

cramerhunts

Congratulations on a really pretty bird, sounds like it was a lot of fun.

ILHUNTER

Good job on being patient and just letting it happen.

kdsberman

Thanks guys.  Unfortunately here in Michigan you're allowed only one bird so my season is over.  I'll try and help my dad get one, so that'll keep the excitement up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper