OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Yelp/half cutt  (Read 6146 times)

Offline The Woodsman

Yelp/half cutt
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:24:25 PM »
I have been hearing sound files mostly on pot calls that sounds like a yelp into a fast half cutt, what's its purpose? It sounds unnatural....

Denny

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
Re: Yelp/half cutt
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:56:22 PM »
Good example in first 2 minutes of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGTwoWu1D2s&app=desktop

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
Turkeys are unnatural.  Don't listen to turkey callers, listen to real turkeys.  Guys who show off calls or calling tend to use too much flair and combinations.  It's just to show the diversity of that particular call or caller.  Pay it no mind.  Keep listening to actual footage and listen in the woods. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »
.....or maybe the hen in the video has the hiccups. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline ruby121972

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Turkey call is not natural :turkey2:
Love Hunting.
How to choose the right bow ?
The site will help you find the best compound bow for the money
Hunting Website: http://hunthacks.com/

Offline markjm15

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »
I've heard more unnatural noises from a hen then I can count! When you're out in the woods and have a hen fired up you will be surprised at how much fancy trash talking she can do. I've heard them whine like a chicken, bark a little, and do extremely fast cutting with mixed in yelps. They have a very wide vocabulary.
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:57:40 PM »
I've heard more unnatural noises from a hen then I can count! When you're out in the woods and have a hen fired up you will be surprised at how much fancy trash talking she can do. I've heard them whine like a chicken, bark a little, and do extremely fast cutting with mixed in yelps. They have a very wide vocabulary.

Yup. Had one come through growling and gnashing it's teeth at me. Then, she made a foul mother statement about my mother and beat feet to the next county. Stupid hussy.

Offline Triple B

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
Exactly,I hear way too many turkey hunters run the same cadence of clucks and yelps,and cutts, over and over again, and struggle to harvest a bird. Real hens call at random, with a mixture of calls mixed in, depending on the situation.I'm an absolute believer in less is more, when it comes to calling in a lot of instances.If I show you a full hand today, and it don't work,what do I have for you tomorrow. What works today, may not get you a sniff tomorrow. Thats why turkey hunting is so addicting. So many variables involved,the list is endless.
I have done this for a long time, and It still suprises me, of all the different sounds a hen turkey makes,as the previous poster stated.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
During the 2nd to the last day this season in NY me and another friend were working a gobbler and 2 hens...one of the hens really got fired up and eventually made her way to us...she all the usual yelping, cutting and much of this yelp half cut and yelp again for 15 minutes as she made her way.  She was within 10 ft of us and actually between us she slowly moved off and we thought we would be able to close the deal because the gobbler and the other hen finally started making good ground toward us...all of a sudden and talk about unnatural sounds, the hen came back to us, just off to our left at 15 yards and started yelping in 5 - 7 yelps them backed her head up, fluffed up and gobbled and I mean GOBBLED...she kept at it for 10 minutes with both of us hardly able to contain ourselves she gobbled no less than 37 times in all.  That dang gobbler never closed the distance but by then we didn't care because we both witnessed some quite rare I believe and it was a real "Unnatural" treat!!

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:39:39 PM »
There are lots of ways to sound like a turkey. There are more ways to NOT sound like a turkey. The important thing is to sound like a turkey in a way that says what you want to say. Turkey means specific things when they sing. If you want to sound natural, don't call random nonsense.

Offline Bmiller1989

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »
This is what I've never understood about turkey calling contests. They want you to sound like turkeys but if you don't have a good routine then you don't do well. I've never heard a turkey walk thru the woods doin certain calls so many times over n over. When you're in the woods you hear turkeys do things you'd never think was a turkey. I know I don't have nearly as much experience as most guys on here, but I've heard hens sound from a barking dog to having the prettiest yelps you'd ever wanna hear. There's no real rythym in the turkey woods. I know when I sit down on a gobbler there's no telling how I'm liable to call to him, all depends on what he likes to hear that day and that moment.