turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

strikers?

Started by Marc, April 17, 2016, 11:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

How much of a difference do different strikers make for a scratch box? I realize to some degree it will depend on the strikers, but would you generally expect distinctly different sounds from two different strikers?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

West Augusta

As with a pot call, the right striker can make or break a scratch box. Yes,  different woods sound different.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Dr Juice

Quote from: West Augusta on April 18, 2016, 04:29:39 AM
As with a pot call, the right striker can make or break a scratch box. Yes,  different woods sound different.
X2. I could not have stated it any better.

KentuckyHeadhunter

A scratch box to me is sorta a hybrid between a box call and a pot call.  The striker is critical and not only the type of wood, but the length and thickness as well. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

hunter22

I go to a wood store and buy pen blanks and make strikers for my scratch boxes. Blackwood, Snakewood, Yellowheart.... the harder woods work well.

SS Calls

As a rule, the denser the wood for the striker, the deeper the tone. The tuning of the call itself is more important though. IMO Soundboard thickness, radius, dimensions of box, etc. play a big part in playability.

TauntoHawk

They can change it up pretty good, purpleheart is my favorite and walnut sounds good with most any scratch box soundboard.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvmntnhick

Quote from: SS Calls on April 18, 2016, 09:57:04 AM
As a rule, the denser the wood for the striker, the deeper the tone. The tuning of the call itself is more important though. IMO Soundboard thickness, radius, dimensions of box, etc. play a big part in playability.
Crazy question: When ordering a scratcher through you, is it possible to get more than one striker?

MDSTRUTNRUT

Lonnie Gilbert's comes with 3 different ones.

SS Calls

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 18, 2016, 08:53:19 PM
Crazy question: When ordering a scratcher through you, is it possible to get more than one striker?

Sure is.  :icon_thumright:

TauntoHawk

Quote from: SS Calls on April 19, 2016, 10:21:16 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 18, 2016, 08:53:19 PM

Sure is.  :icon_thumright:

You have to ask really nice and be a card carrying member of Scratch Box Addicts. My last group of calls from Al I got Purpleheart, Wenge, Persimmon, and the typical walnut. The purpleheart is nasty good with every scratch box I own and the wenge comboed with a mineral poplar soundboard gives me real course gobbler yelps
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice