OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 - WIN XX #5

Started by NYlogbeards, April 17, 2016, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYlogbeards

Did some shooting yesterday with my Mossberg 500 (24" barrel) using a Carlson's .585 Ext choke, both patterns below are WIN xx #5. I'll be keeping it at around 35 yards sense the count in the 40 yards isn't high enough but i am getting an average of 20 or so pellets in the head at 40 yards.

@30 yards 114 10"

@40 yards 60 10"

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

surehuntsalot

that turkey target at 40 is as dead as a bird can get, goes to show you that you don't have to shred paper to kill a bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jordanz7935

That'll do the iob. I shot those shells for quite a few years out of my 870 20 ga. They killed birds just fine 35 yds was my max yardage also. They were the only 20 ga  turkey load I could find locally back in my early years of turkey hunting.That was long before I knew anything about counting holes in 10" circles. Federal heavyweight 7s woud probably double the numbers your getting now if your looking for improvement :z-twocents:

Dtrkyman

Drastically better than I got from those loads, I would hunt that at 40 if it were consistent, 20 hits at 40 is solid imho!

7shooter

I would hunt with that.  Nice pattern, you should try the new Long Beards if they ever show up.