OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got an upgrade!  (Read 2827 times)

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Got an upgrade!
« on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »

Started out getting into the woods about 30 minutes late Saturday morning, had to pick my oldest son up from a field trip to DC at 12am so I didn't get to to bed until after 12:30am so when the alarm went off at 4:50am I had to hit snooze a few times.  When I got to the woods someone was already parked so I turned around and hunted across the road.  Heard this bird start gobbling around 6:30am but he was where the other guy was parked so I thought good luck I'll find another one.  Sat against a tree until 9:30am and thought I never heard that guy shoot so I'm gonna slip over and see if he is still parked there, got over there and he wasn't.  Got my stuff and headed up the logging road and about halfway I put in my mouth call and yelped and I thought did one just gobble?  I yelped again and sure enough he was right in front of me maybe 75 yards so I slipped up into the woods and sat next to a tree and from almost the next two hours it was a stand off, he would gobble but never break the 50 yard mark.  At almost 11:35 I got up and eased up the ridge about 100 yards keeping tabs on him with my crow call.  I was able to get above him and I set up in the best spot I could find but I was in the wide open a bit more than I would have liked.  I thought I'm gonna get out my push pin call and Yelp and cluck to him and not long after I finished clucking I was sitting the call down when at 20-25 yards he popped into the logging road where I was set up in full strut.  He craned his neck to find the hen he heard then continued strutting but I was pinned down and couldn't get my gun up.  I spied a clump of grass to the left side of the road and as he dropped back into strut behind it I was able to get my gun to my shoulder and when he raised his head again to look for the hen he got a face full of 5's at 20 yards.  Definitely was thankful but hated to see my last tag filled. 

Training my youngest to work on his hero shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:18:09 PM by trkehunr93 »

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Got an upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
Hot dam,looks like you aimed for the beak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Got an upgrade!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »
Congratulations! You busted his melon!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: Got an upgrade!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
Great, that was quick!

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Got an upgrade!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »
Congrats. Now, that's a jellyhead!

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Got an upgrade!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »
Big upgrade! Way to go!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer