North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2 for 3 I'll get him measured up and post story

Started by Tennessee Lead, April 16, 2016, 11:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

Might be an upgrade

Went for my 3 hunt this morning Got on a tom on the roost this morning. Slipped in to 100 yards or so. Waited till he flew down and started working him. I thought for sure it was a done deal. It was working like a dream He ended up dropping over the hill and hushed up.
I gave him a while and moved. I struck  2 more about 7
They were across the holler where I've called them across before.
After a few minutes I could tell they weren't coming across. I made a mad dash all the way around to the side they were on. Took close to 15 minutes to get over there. I was afraid they'd cool off by the time I got above them.
I made it to a place that is always covered up in dusting and scratching. I started to sit down because I knew I was above them and dang if I didn't almost sit on a nesting hen. She flew and I thought well that ruined me.
I called and boom double gobble. I started working them and could tell my set up wasn't going to work by the way they were moving. I made a quick move and repositioned back out the ridge. Called again gobbled closer. I could here the drumming. I had to turn a little and got in a bind. I could here them walking. Then a silent tom slipped in from my right at 25 yards. I almost killed him but he pegged me just as I got my sight on him. He ducked and walked quickly over the hill.
I cut real hard and got a double gobble. Thought I'm still in the game. After 15 minutes of drumming I knew he wasn't coming over the hump of the ridge. It got quite and I waited a few minutes and decided I'd try and slip to my original tree and call again. I could still here them scratching. Just as I stood up from the tree I was at I saw him standing in full strut with another tom and several hens over the ridge line. The other Tom ran and he run his ol head up. I shot him at 35 yards. I think the tom that saw me probably kept them from coming over the hump.
17.1 pounds
9.25" beard
7/8" Spurs

reflexl

darn2ten

Congrats buddy! Had a o so close one this morning, but no cigar. Had a little rise then a small swag past it just to my left. He came in and stayed just in the swag at about 30 yds. All I could do was listen to him drum and strut in the leaves. A real hen came in a pulled him off. Had no idea I wouldn't be able to see right there when I set up on him this morning. That's alright, if he roost in the same spot in the morning we're going to play the game a little different.

TNTRKYHunter

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: darn2ten on April 16, 2016, 01:01:08 PM
Congrats buddy! Had a o so close one this morning, but no cigar. Had a little rise then a small swag past it just to my left. He came in and stayed just in the swag at about 30 yds. All I could do was listen to him drum and strut in the leaves. A real hen came in a pulled him off. Had no idea I wouldn't be able to see right there when I set up on him this morning. That's alright, if he roost in the same spot in the morning we're going to play the game a little different.
Hope you can get him the morning darn2ten!!

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: TNTRKYHunter on April 16, 2016, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: darn2ten on April 16, 2016, 01:01:08 PM
Hope you can get him the morning darn2ten!!

X2!

Tennessee Lead

No upgrade
The Spurs were but he only weighed 17 pounds

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on April 16, 2016, 01:26:01 PM
No upgrade
The Spurs were but he only weighed 17 pounds
Probably lost 5lbs from chasing those women all spring.