turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with M1

Started by Sealbilly, April 14, 2016, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sealbilly

First of all hello new to the sight.  I'm blown away by your patterns guys!  I haven't turkey hunted in a while and the last shell I used was winchester supremes #5s in 3 and 3.5" shells.

Ok I have a Benelli M1 that is my all time favorite shotgun and I have 2 barrels for it.  A 28" M2 barrel i use for waterfowl, upland, crows and pigeons and a 24" with the mobile choke system i want to set up for turkey and I have a few questions.  I tried the longbeards and they shot pretty good but poi was high.  If I end up shooting lead which is probably what I will do it will #5s even if I have to try several chokes to get it shooting good.  If I end up shooting HD shot I would like to try #7s if they are the equivalent to #5 lead in energy. The chokes I have are .655 terror and a .643 SSX truglo.  The truglo didn't shoot as good so I mailed it to a fellow to have it reamed to .655.  I have no idea where to start for #7s.  Is it possable to find a choke that will pattern HD shot and lead well?  I would also be open to #6 high density loads.

Now onto forcing cones...  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I had ballistic specialities do a 3" in a Browning gold several years ago and they ruined my pattern.  Before I sent it to them my patterns were hot in the center after I got it back they looked horrable.  I hear Rob Roberts does it a little different and has good patterns with a longer cone BUT I'm still a little sceptical.   Does your gun have longer cone and did you pattern before and after?

Thanks

cuppednlocked

Search this sub forum.  There is a post with the information you are looking for.

Sealbilly

cuppednlocked

Did you find the information you were looking for?  I was on my mobile and couldn't do much to help.

Sealbilly

Im on Mobile and I really didn't find much, and haven't gotten many responses.    I guess this is like most sights if you don't have pretty pictures you don't get muchome love, lol.

cuppednlocked

This should be a good start for the choke/shell info.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,52830.0.html

The forcing cone stuff can be found with a search.

scdxt

Quote from: cuppednlocked on April 18, 2016, 09:54:17 PM
This should be a good start for the choke/shell info.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,52830.0.html

The forcing cone stuff can be found with a search.
If u have any questions about he m1 feel free to message me. I have shot all barrel lengths and a bunch of choke/shell combos.  Thanks for digging up my old thread for him. Hope it helps him some.

cuppednlocked

Your post has been a great help to me as far as a starting point with my new to me 24" M1.

Sealbilly

Thank you very much.  Here is a pattern pic at 35 and it may not even be the right one.  I'm trying tapa talk for the first time and this is the first picture I have ever posted, as I'm a computard and I'm a out of touch middle aged hillbilly...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sealbilly

Yep wrong pic. Let's try again...

Sealbilly

I promise the next pic will be a 10" counted pattern.  Lol old dogs new tricks ya know...

Bowguy

This is an old post but in case your still following it. Id personally not shoot a gun without the forcing cones open. I've always had great luck.
The poi issue you're experiencing is normal w tight choke/load combos. Seems more often than not they're off. It's why they sell sights

Sealbilly

Thank for your reply.  I thought about getting the cone done but I have done it before and it made my patterns worse.  Ballistic specialities did a 3" cone and it didn't move the fringe in it moved the center out.  Disappointed to say the least.  As for sight I feel like they are for rifles, I know I'm in the minority with this.  I have guns set up for turkeys and none have sights other than bead sights and one has a mid bead.  I like shotguns to be shotguns.  Simple, shoot where you aim/point, fit like a glove and nothing extra besides a good sling.  I weird like that.

longbeards

First call Indian Creek and get them to send you the choke they recommend for what ever load you are shooting.
2nd get a good sighting system to deal with the high
Point of impact!