OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help with M1  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Sealbilly

Help with M1
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:57:21 PM »
First of all hello new to the sight.  I'm blown away by your patterns guys!  I haven't turkey hunted in a while and the last shell I used was winchester supremes #5s in 3 and 3.5" shells.

Ok I have a Benelli M1 that is my all time favorite shotgun and I have 2 barrels for it.  A 28" M2 barrel i use for waterfowl, upland, crows and pigeons and a 24" with the mobile choke system i want to set up for turkey and I have a few questions.  I tried the longbeards and they shot pretty good but poi was high.  If I end up shooting lead which is probably what I will do it will #5s even if I have to try several chokes to get it shooting good.  If I end up shooting HD shot I would like to try #7s if they are the equivalent to #5 lead in energy. The chokes I have are .655 terror and a .643 SSX truglo.  The truglo didn't shoot as good so I mailed it to a fellow to have it reamed to .655.  I have no idea where to start for #7s.  Is it possable to find a choke that will pattern HD shot and lead well?  I would also be open to #6 high density loads.

Now onto forcing cones...  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I had ballistic specialities do a 3" in a Browning gold several years ago and they ruined my pattern.  Before I sent it to them my patterns were hot in the center after I got it back they looked horrable.  I hear Rob Roberts does it a little different and has good patterns with a longer cone BUT I'm still a little sceptical.   Does your gun have longer cone and did you pattern before and after?

Thanks

Offline cuppednlocked

Re: Help with M1
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
Search this sub forum.  There is a post with the information you are looking for.

Offline Sealbilly

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
Thanks.

Offline cuppednlocked

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
Did you find the information you were looking for?  I was on my mobile and couldn't do much to help.

Offline Sealbilly

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
Im on Mobile and I really didn't find much, and haven't gotten many responses.    I guess this is like most sights if you don't have pretty pictures you don't get muchome love, lol.

Offline cuppednlocked

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »
This should be a good start for the choke/shell info.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,52830.0.html

The forcing cone stuff can be found with a search.

Offline scdxt

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
This should be a good start for the choke/shell info.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,52830.0.html

The forcing cone stuff can be found with a search.
If u have any questions about he m1 feel free to message me. I have shot all barrel lengths and a bunch of choke/shell combos.  Thanks for digging up my old thread for him. Hope it helps him some.

Offline cuppednlocked

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:31:31 PM »
Your post has been a great help to me as far as a starting point with my new to me 24" M1.

Offline Sealbilly

Help with M1
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 10:55:18 PM »
Thank you very much.  Here is a pattern pic at 35 and it may not even be the right one.  I'm trying tapa talk for the first time and this is the first picture I have ever posted, as I'm a computard and I'm a out of touch middle aged hillbilly...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Sealbilly

Help with M1
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 10:56:26 PM »
Yep wrong pic. Let's try again...

Offline Sealbilly

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 11:02:20 PM »
I promise the next pic will be a 10" counted pattern.  Lol old dogs new tricks ya know...

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
This is an old post but in case your still following it. Id personally not shoot a gun without the forcing cones open. I've always had great luck.
The poi issue you're experiencing is normal w tight choke/load combos. Seems more often than not they're off. It's why they sell sights

Offline Sealbilly

Help with M1
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 11:28:28 AM »
Thank for your reply.  I thought about getting the cone done but I have done it before and it made my patterns worse.  Ballistic specialities did a 3" cone and it didn't move the fringe in it moved the center out.  Disappointed to say the least.  As for sight I feel like they are for rifles, I know I'm in the minority with this.  I have guns set up for turkeys and none have sights other than bead sights and one has a mid bead.  I like shotguns to be shotguns.  Simple, shoot where you aim/point, fit like a glove and nothing extra besides a good sling.  I weird like that.

Offline longbeards

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 06:29:27 PM »
First call Indian Creek and get them to send you the choke they recommend for what ever load you are shooting.
2nd get a good sighting system to deal with the high
Point of impact!