OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 4.13.2016, mountain bird  (Read 3364 times)

Offline YoungbuckTX

4.13.2016, mountain bird
« on: April 14, 2016, 08:23:27 AM »
I decided to try NC this year for the first time. Did a lot of gmapping and spoke to the park rangers. Woke up at 3am yesterday anxious to see the place in person. The trip was mostly for recon, and just expected to do a lot of walking and looking. Not sure if it technically mountains or not, but my ears were popping on the last few miles driving in.

Forecast showed 5-10 winds for up there, but it was blowing pretty good on my side of the hill. I walked about half a mile up a big ridge in the dark and waited for sunrise. About 45 mins later I finally got to see the woods around me, and the view was beautiful. Growing up in the flat lands of TX, I've always enjoyed spending time in the mountains. The air was crisp, thousands of acres of no roads or car noise. No cell service. Which, I didn't really consider, and thankfully my phone's map still worked.

At first light 2 birds gobbled, maybe 100 yards from me. I heard that distances can be deceiving up there, but decided not to push my good luck of finding turkeys so quickly. I setup there, in a half acre clearing, waited about ten minutes and called to them. They immediately hammered back and so I put down the call. At least I had a good pin on them now, and if it didn't work out, I could hunt them this afternoon.

Never heard a fly down, they gobbled maybe 10 times in the tree, and nothing after that. Every so often I heard a hen yelping, but couldn't pick out from where. After an hour of sitting and calling every 10 mins, I suddenly got the feeling a kill was coming. Not sure if there's a name for it, but when you know everything is just right.. heart beats a little faster and adrenaline comes. It's like your instincts detect whatever it is before your brain does. I finally hear him walking and see a white head, less than 50 yards, coming over a small rise. I raise my gun, and all of sudden he is gone.

I began to critiquing everything.. Did he spot me? Did I move too fast? Why didn't I get the gun up sooner? I am really tempted to move and walk that direction but with the wind, and no gobbles in over an hour, I finally talk myself into staying there. Again I hear yelps coming from the next ridge over, same area as the roost. I talk back and get a response from the hen. Another hour goes by and he pops out again, this time in full strut, spitting and drumming, coming down the hill to me. I said screw the camera, and shot him the first chance I had.

Not a huge bird, 20lbs- 1in wore down spurs- 10in stringy beard, half rotten. It's really going to be tough to beat this season. I have been really lucky. This hunt does stand out, and already want to go back soon.

Luke's first turkey (already cleaned out, why he looks so flat)
line 'em up

Offline nickhrp

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Gobble gobble
4.13.2016, mountain bird
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »
You are in beast mode you killed more turkey in a month than I have in 3 seasons congrats to a successful hunt
God Bless the Outdoors

Offline YoungbuckTX

Re: 4.13.2016, mountain bird
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »
You are in beast mode you killed more turkey in a month than I have in 3 seasons congrats to a successful hunt

Thanks. It has been a great season. Have yelper will travel..!
line 'em up

Offline Illini Tom

• Gobble Gobble ... Bang!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
nice bird and hunt. you're on a roll  :gobble: :gobble:

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
Man you need some one to split gas with you.

Offline cramerhunts

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
Way to go! Congratulations on a very nice bird.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
4.13.2016, mountain bird
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »
Nice. Congrats.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
4.13.2016, mountain bird
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:41 PM »
Killers kill brother! Had a big grin for you when the text came through! Congratulations!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer