OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

last year's hevi 7s plus a few lead patterns

Started by jtg88, April 03, 2011, 12:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtg88

Well I finally got out to do a little shooting today.  Even though conditions weren't ideal I did get a few decent patterns.  In past years, I've always used a Hevishot shell for long range/field load and keep a couple of Winchester XX Mag 3-2-6s just in case I set up where visibility is limited.  Well this year I picked up a box of the Winchester HV 3.5-2-6s thinking they should pattern about the same as their slower counterpart being the payload was the same.  Well, as the pics show my gun does not like the high velocity stuff.  Some of the patterns are off the aim point a good bit since I was using the lead to dial in the sights before I tried the Hevi 7.

All shot at a lasered 40.5 yards
Temp: 42 F with slight crosswind
Benelli Nova 26" barrel w/ jellyhead .655 choke

Winchester 3-2-6  122 hits

Winchester 3.5-2-6 (2 different shots. The first one was so bad I thought maybe it was a fluke but the second one just confirmed that they didn't like my setup)

70 hits

80 hits

Next I had a few #4s left from years back so I gave them a run

Winchester 3-2-4 77 hits

Winchester 3-1.75-4 66 hits

Finally, the money shot!

Hevi-13 3.5-2.25-7  298 hits  :z-guntootsmiley:

Overall it looks like my gun doesn't like the Win. HV loads at all and prefers the Win. XX Mag in lead.  After shooting that Hevi 7 pattern I remembered a store that had some of last years shells left over so Monday I'm going to clean them out of lot #300325

nyhunter

Gold Spur

Those 7's patterned great! Better buy the rest of those 7's before someone else does... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Dwnforce

jtg88

Quote from: Gold Spur on April 03, 2011, 10:29:12 AM
Those 7's patterned great! Better buy the rest of those 7's before someone else does... :icon_thumright:

Planning on it if they are still there

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

trkehunr93

WyoHunter

Quote from: Gold Spur on April 03, 2011, 10:29:12 AM
I was thinking the same thing!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!