Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Finally kicked my season off

Started by jepcho, April 13, 2016, 08:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jepcho

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted in a while, been crazy busy. Well this past Saturday was the opening day of youth season here in Iowa and the plan was to take my little brother out and see if I couldn't get him a bird. I didn't have real high hopes because I hadn't seen much while scouting this year but we decided to get up early and head out in the 15 degree morning onto a piece of public that I know pretty good even though I'd never taken a bird off of it. We got setup on some birds on the roost but they pitched the opposite way down the ridge and across the river. They're were 2 other birds that had been gobbling on the roost about 350 or 400 yards away and I told my brother we should stay put and try and call them in. That's exactly what we did. Called two of them within 17 yards and my brother smoked a good one. 22 lbs, over 1.25 spurs and a 10 inch beard. Such a great way to start the season out!

WNCTracker

Gumby

wmn2

Congrats to you and your brother!

jepcho

Thanks guys.  The morning was made even better when, after him kill, we got back to the car and drove by a property I have permission to hunt and spotted 5 strutters on it!  Season is looking good!

Double B

Followed by buzzards

357MAGNOLE

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

cramerhunts

Congratulations to him on a beautiful gobbler.