OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Longbeard vs longbeard?  (Read 12241 times)

Offline Sealbilly

Longbeard vs longbeard?
« on: April 13, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Longbeard 1 3/4 oz vs 1 7/8 oz.  Anybody shot both, if so how did they compare?  I shot the 1 3/4 oz of #5s and it patterned well in my SBE and my M1 with a .655 terror but I wouldn't mind upping the pellet count a little since I'm not using small shot.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Longbeard vs longbeard?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
I have. My SX2 prefers the 1 7/8oz at 1050fps over the 1 3/4oz at 1200fps. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Longbeard vs longbeard?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
I shot a few sizes n had varying results. I used an Ithaca 37 n the magnums liked the factory choke (.675)better, the standard 1-3/4 shot better w an Indian Creek (.665). Both loads w both chokes were very acceptable. My Mossberg shot them way too tight for my liking

Offline Sealbilly

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
Thanks gentlemen,  I am gonna try the heavier load if I can find a box locally.  It's been a few years since I have turkey hunted, the last load I used was  winchester supremes 3.5 2 5.  The longbeards are mind blowing for a lead shell.

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:20:59 PM »
No brainier there, 1 7/8oz for sure!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:45 AM »
that shotgun review guy made a great post on here about the difference between those loads so ill try my best to paraphrase it. the 1 7/8oz loads have 1/8oz more shot in them than the 1 3/4oz so its a little heavier meaning you've got a 1050 fps load. the 1 3/4oz loads shoot 1200 fps obviously because they have a little less shot in them......however at 40 yards on a chronograph both loads are traveling the same speed. the 1 7/8oz loads generally have a slightly better pattern. which is true because I tried both these in #6 and I got a ever so slightly higher shot count with the 1 7/8oz loads and experienced a little more blow out with the 1 3/4oz loads. matter of fact if you read anything about the spacing issues with long beards...I never encountered this until I started shooting the 1 3/4oz loads. so its a slight trade off between the 2 loads. you may get a little more knockdown at close range.....but other than that there is really no reason to shoot the 1200fps load.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Sealbilly

Longbeard vs longbeard?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 05:59:21 PM »
The faster a load is launched the faster it slows down.  When I hunt for pigeons and crows my pet load is 1 1/4 oz of #6s at 1200 fps.  The standard 1330 fps loads don't pattern as good.  My gun shoots cheap Rios at 1200 better than rem express long range or win double x at 1330.  Shotguns are funny animals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Seminoleturkey

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:18:10 PM »
My 12ga Weatherby sa459 with black diamond choke shoots the longbeard #6 1 7/8 much better than the 1 3/4 load

Offline Ahab

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
 my SBE II with an Indian creek .665 #5 didn't patter well with 1 7/8 it shoots 1 3/4 best. it doesn't care for two oz loads either. maybe a looser choke would help that but I'm ok with 1 3/4

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »
I have $80.00 in gift certificates from Bass Pro Shops and am going to buy some on Monday. Going with the 1 7/8 load from all I have read. Just going to spend it all on 4 boxes of it and then I will be set for a while.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline diyj98

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
The faster a load is launched the faster it slows down. 

I'm not sure that's exactly the case.  If a pellet or bullet weighing the same is started out a a higher velocity, it will remain at a higher velocity than the same weight pellet or bullet fired at a slower velocity.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 09:25:25 PM »

If a pellet or bullet weighing the same is started out a a higher velocity, it will remain at a higher velocity than the same weight pellet or bullet fired at a slower velocity.

Both of these statements are correct.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »
I have a friend who is shotgun garu. He claims that, generally a lower velocity round will pattern better than a higher one. He claims the increased velocity tends to blow patterns. I know this isn't always true but maybe a good rule of thumb...

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 07:27:06 AM »

If a pellet or bullet weighing the same is started out a a higher velocity, it will remain at a higher velocity than the same weight pellet or bullet fired at a slower velocity.

Both of these statements are correct.

Indeed, both of these statements are correct.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 07:27:35 AM »
I have a friend who is shotgun garu. He claims that, generally a lower velocity round will pattern better than a higher one. He claims the increased velocity tends to blow patterns. I know this isn't always true but maybe a good rule of thumb...

This is also generally true.