turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard vs longbeard?

Started by Sealbilly, April 13, 2016, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sealbilly

Longbeard 1 3/4 oz vs 1 7/8 oz.  Anybody shot both, if so how did they compare?  I shot the 1 3/4 oz of #5s and it patterned well in my SBE and my M1 with a .655 terror but I wouldn't mind upping the pellet count a little since I'm not using small shot.

Dr Juice

I have. My SX2 prefers the 1 7/8oz at 1050fps over the 1 3/4oz at 1200fps. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Bowguy

I shot a few sizes n had varying results. I used an Ithaca 37 n the magnums liked the factory choke (.675)better, the standard 1-3/4 shot better w an Indian Creek (.665). Both loads w both chokes were very acceptable. My Mossberg shot them way too tight for my liking

Sealbilly

Thanks gentlemen,  I am gonna try the heavier load if I can find a box locally.  It's been a few years since I have turkey hunted, the last load I used was  winchester supremes 3.5 2 5.  The longbeards are mind blowing for a lead shell.

Philippe

No brainier there, 1 7/8oz for sure!

dzsmith

that shotgun review guy made a great post on here about the difference between those loads so ill try my best to paraphrase it. the 1 7/8oz loads have 1/8oz more shot in them than the 1 3/4oz so its a little heavier meaning you've got a 1050 fps load. the 1 3/4oz loads shoot 1200 fps obviously because they have a little less shot in them......however at 40 yards on a chronograph both loads are traveling the same speed. the 1 7/8oz loads generally have a slightly better pattern. which is true because I tried both these in #6 and I got a ever so slightly higher shot count with the 1 7/8oz loads and experienced a little more blow out with the 1 3/4oz loads. matter of fact if you read anything about the spacing issues with long beards...I never encountered this until I started shooting the 1 3/4oz loads. so its a slight trade off between the 2 loads. you may get a little more knockdown at close range.....but other than that there is really no reason to shoot the 1200fps load.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Sealbilly

The faster a load is launched the faster it slows down.  When I hunt for pigeons and crows my pet load is 1 1/4 oz of #6s at 1200 fps.  The standard 1330 fps loads don't pattern as good.  My gun shoots cheap Rios at 1200 better than rem express long range or win double x at 1330.  Shotguns are funny animals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Seminoleturkey

My 12ga Weatherby sa459 with black diamond choke shoots the longbeard #6 1 7/8 much better than the 1 3/4 load

Ahab

my SBE II with an Indian creek .665 #5 didn't patter well with 1 7/8 it shoots 1 3/4 best. it doesn't care for two oz loads either. maybe a looser choke would help that but I'm ok with 1 3/4

Sir-diealot

I have $80.00 in gift certificates from Bass Pro Shops and am going to buy some on Monday. Going with the 1 7/8 load from all I have read. Just going to spend it all on 4 boxes of it and then I will be set for a while.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

diyj98

Quote from: Sealbilly on April 27, 2016, 05:59:21 PM
The faster a load is launched the faster it slows down. 

I'm not sure that's exactly the case.  If a pellet or bullet weighing the same is started out a a higher velocity, it will remain at a higher velocity than the same weight pellet or bullet fired at a slower velocity.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: diyj98 on October 01, 2019, 08:34:50 PM
If a pellet or bullet weighing the same is started out a a higher velocity, it will remain at a higher velocity than the same weight pellet or bullet fired at a slower velocity.

Both of these statements are correct.

sixbird

I have a friend who is shotgun garu. He claims that, generally a lower velocity round will pattern better than a higher one. He claims the increased velocity tends to blow patterns. I know this isn't always true but maybe a good rule of thumb...

BandedSpur

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on October 01, 2019, 09:25:25 PM

Quote from: diyj98 on October 01, 2019, 08:34:50 PM
If a pellet or bullet weighing the same is started out a a higher velocity, it will remain at a higher velocity than the same weight pellet or bullet fired at a slower velocity.

Both of these statements are correct.

Indeed, both of these statements are correct.

BandedSpur

Quote from: sixbird on October 01, 2019, 10:32:29 PM
I have a friend who is shotgun garu. He claims that, generally a lower velocity round will pattern better than a higher one. He claims the increased velocity tends to blow patterns. I know this isn't always true but maybe a good rule of thumb...

This is also generally true.