OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Patterning  (Read 3517 times)

Offline hvacrbuildernc

Patterning
« on: March 07, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
So trying to do a proper pattern test, any suggestions welcome.

Mossberg 835
Remington nitro turkey #5 and 6
Tried two chokes- Carlsons longbeard .690 and Truglo bonecollector .680

Not even showing patterns with Carlsons choke, gun didn’t like em

#5 Tru glo choke

#6 Tru glo choke

Blue marks are number 5 that shot over, didn’t mark left target in last pic.

Number 6 pattern I pulled to the left and still had a denser pattern.

I’m gonna try longbeards tomorrow but so far I’m thinking the 6s and Truglo is a viable option, if I’m wrong or should test more please correct me.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Patterning
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:29:30 AM »
You want advice? Get rid of the nitros, they stink. Pattern on a bigger board so you can actually see if most of your shot is too side. Use a lead sled or some sort of cradle, bags what have you to steady gun so you can be sure what’s really going on.
Hate to say it, there’s better chokes you can try too. What did the factory choke do if it’s an 835 turkey model?

Online captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:24:08 AM »
You want advice? Get rid of the nitros, they stink. Pattern on a bigger board so you can actually see if most of your shot is too side. Use a lead sled or some sort of cradle, bags what have you to steady gun so you can be sure what’s really going on.
Hate to say it, there’s better chokes you can try too. What did the factory choke do if it’s an 835 turkey model?

Welcome to the forum!!

Agree with everything above....especially getting rid of the Nitros. Look at Winchester XX or High Velocity shells. They have been killing turkey for a long time. For my pattern board I use a 4'X4' piece of cardboard and use thumbtacks to attach a 3'x3' piece of paper. This way you can see your whole pattern. I use the red rosin construction paper you get at Lowe's, Menard's, Home Depot, etc. Then I just a draw a dot in the center to give me an aiming point.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/painting-protection/red-rosin-paper/trimaco-36-x-167-red-medium-weight-rosin-paper/3514520men/p-1444445227674-c-8063.htm

I can't help you with different chokes...never patterned a Mossy, I would start with different shells. Good luck, have fun and let us know how you come out!

Offline hvacrbuildernc

Patterning
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 05:58:04 PM »
Thanks, took your advice with the nitros, tried the long beards today because it’s what I had, gonna look for the xx next time I’m out. I’ll be looking to upgrade chokes next year, I’ve invested a bit of money already this year. I bought the gun used so no factory choke with it. Tried the 3” 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 longbeard today with the Carlson choke at 35 yards( backyard range limit) kraft paper for background behind the turkey target.

1 3/4

1 7/8

Was aiming for head, not bullseye(easier to spot) just to pattern

9 mph wind to the right

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »
Just a heads up. Winchester discontinued the xx supremes. Federal has a copper plated lead that did pretty good in my testing last year. Grand slam the load is called

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 07:56:17 AM »
You can see you need sights. Pattern isn’t centered. If you get a bird at say 8-10 yards the tight longbeard pattern and non centered load would miss.
Williams makes a cheap bolt to your rib type sight. Realize too now you’ll need to build comb up cause sight will be higher. A bear tooth comb raising kit is cheap or you can just do it yourself

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
I agree, rem. nitros aren't good past 30 IMO.  Your def. off center with the pattern so some type of sight will def. help.  Win. still shows XX but they ,merged the XX supremes and HV loads into one.  Their all listed as XX magnum load or XX high velocity load, believe their all the black shell now.  You could also try Win. super X, I've had good results with the 3" 1 7/8oz 5's in my 835 and their cheap.

Offline hvacrbuildernc

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 10:58:27 AM »
I have the Williams sight on mine, I’m waiting til a calm day to zero in, could a9-10 mph crosswind cause a large push at 35 yds? But it’s always possible I over corrected because I was impacting left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
Good, I wasn’t criticizing only offering insight to help

Offline hvacrbuildernc

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 11:56:14 AM »
Yes sir and the help is greatly appreciated, I’ve never been into shotguns that werent just shorter hd guns until gettin into turkeys last year so I’m learning everything from ground up. Taking every bit of advice in and definitely planning more upgrades next year, season here is bout a month away so trying to make sure if the opportunity is there I’ll only be able to blame me for walking out empty handed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 12:47:12 PM »
I helped my brother, he cants a shotgun something terrible.  He was frustrated with trying to get a gun to shoot straight and just always compensated.  I grabbed his gun and shot it and it was dead on.  He is a good shot at ducks, I just think he has compensated for the way he shoots over the years when wingshooting.  I talked him into sights and you should see the pattern he put on the board yesterday!  Dead on, dead center, great pattern. 

For me, I have been super impressed with the longbeards - they have shot well out of every choke and every gun we have tried.  Just got to get them aimed correctly.  My nephew made a big deal out of them being too tight at 15 yards.  I asked if he could hit a turkey in the head at 15 yards with a .22 and he said yes.  So his problem is his sights, not the load.   Hitting a bird in the head with a softball size pattern at 10-15 steps is no big deal with good  sights.  You are on the right track.  Just make sure you shoot it close.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Big Pine

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 07:17:32 PM »
My 835 shoots the 3.5” xx #5s lights out at 40 yards, and the pattern is pretty forgiving at 20 yards. Long beards are awesome, too

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 08:02:52 AM »
Never seen longbeards remotely forgiving at 20 yards. What’s your set up?

Offline Big Pine

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 10:27:10 PM »
I shoot a 24” 835 with a .675 sumtoy. I swapped to the double x because of how tight the long beards were at 20 to 30 yards. I love the 40 yard pattern of the long beards but they are a bit tight for me less than that.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 09:46:41 AM »
That’s exactly what I’m saying. Not forgiveable at all distances. Shells to me are useless